ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28423 - 08/18/03 08:42 PM Tourist electrocuted in Las Vegas
Electric Eagle Offline
Member
Registered: 04/20/02
Posts: 914
Loc: Alpharetta, GA
In a freak accident a tourist was electrocuted while walking down the street in the rain. http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-other/2003/aug/18/515492258.html
Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#28424 - 08/19/03 05:25 PM Re: Tourist electrocuted in Las Vegas
LK Offline
Member
Registered: 01/21/03
Posts: 1429
Loc: New Jersey
Eagle,
No problem, if you have an unsafe condition, that causes serious injury, Tell the family you don't have enough manpower or money to make things safe. What were they thinking, good city not to take your family.
Top
#28425 - 08/20/03 04:54 AM Re: Tourist electrocuted in Las Vegas
pauluk Offline
Member
Registered: 08/11/01
Posts: 7520
Loc: Norfolk, England
Just try that sort of line with the state/county/local government.

"Yes, I would have had the brakes on my car inspected and replaced, but I didn't have the money to do it."

Top
#28426 - 08/23/03 05:16 PM Re: Tourist electrocuted in Las Vegas
lil suzi Offline
Member
Registered: 08/13/03
Posts: 57
Loc: Midwest
Wow that sounds like some pretty serious stuff there. Sad, though. I will definately remember NOT to step on any metal plates, or for that matter, anything metal anywhere I go. Could lead to a bad day.
_________________________
"Live the dream, you only get one chance."
Top
#28427 - 08/25/03 11:18 AM Re: Tourist electrocuted in Las Vegas
BuggabooBren Offline
Member
Registered: 11/15/01
Posts: 328
Loc: NM
I continue to be surprised too by how many people walk barefoot in public. I used to be a barefoot kinda girl but got out of the habit while overseas. If people knew the gross junk that lands on the sidewalk or the hazards that await the bare feet they might think again and put their shoes back on.

I feel bad for her loved ones regardless and would hope that this would serve as a signal to cities to check their own areas for such hazards.
Top
#28428 - 08/25/03 11:30 AM Re: Tourist electrocuted in Las Vegas
SvenNYC Offline
Member
Registered: 08/19/02
Posts: 1691
Loc: New York City
While good shoes may be a good protection from soemone's loogie, cigarette butt, gum, mucous or other random "deposits", I'm not sure whether a thin, water-slicked leather or rubber sole will protect you from an energized metal plate.

Some shoes also have nails...

Wonder what the voltage & current in the wires under the plate was. Also...if it was raining and she was wearing shoes, wouldn't the shoes also be drenched with water from the usual unavoidable splashing puddles, etc.? Seems to me like that would have provided an excellent conduction path into her body.

This is really tragic. I also remember reading the story (either here or on another electrical forum) of a little dog that walked on an underground splicebox cover and was also killed when the electricity got him.

The poor little animal was spasming and a guy who tried to administer CPR to the dog also felt a shock.
Top

Member Spotlight
Member Since: 02/23/13
Posts: 204
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box


Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 40 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
 
Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9
 
Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals