by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 09:09 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Texas_Ranger), 166 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28046 - 08/08/03 08:45 PM A little rain, and so much money
The Watt Doctor Offline

Loc: Mont Belvieu, TX
Lately, down here in Houston, the temperature has been a cool 102 degrees in the shade. Heck, it hasn't rained in several days or at least a week. We set out to stand several 175' highmast poles today. It was hot, but things were looking good. 150 ton crane for $200.00 an hour, and an 8 hour minimum no problem because we were on a mission. I went and rented a variable message board to alert traffic that lanes would be closed ahead, no problem, $210.00 a day. Had two guys out setting up barrels and advance warning signs to close down a lane on I-10 westbound near downtown Houston, the weather is clear, no problem.
Basically, a 6 man crew plus myself, 2 one ton trucks, a 150 ton crane, an 18 wheel truck, a crane operator, blah, blah, blah...
The rain.....the rain...yes...the rain. I swear the rain passed east of where we were working, stopped, backed up, and rained all over my party. I've never seen rain, stop, and backup, but I swear, I watched it with my own eyes.
I figure that little rain shower cost my company a couple of thousand bucks. I cringe every time I hear a 20% chance of rain. How much does an unexpected rain shower cost your company?

Rain drops keep falling on my.......job...
The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#28047 - 08/09/03 03:20 AM Re: A little rain, and so much money
sparky Offline

musta been what the fab 4 were talking about when they said "you get your tan from standin' in the English rain" Doc

#28048 - 08/09/03 03:48 AM Re: A little rain, and so much money
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
The heaviest downpour I recall ever being caught in was in South Carolina. The sky just opened! After crawling through the streets at about 15mph, with the wipers unable to keep a good clear view even on full speed, I finally pulled up outside my motel room and decided to make a dash for the door. It could only have been about 20 ft., but I was absolutely drenched! A half hour later it was clear and bright again, and I didn't see another drop of rain in the next two weeks.

I suppose that's better in many ways than the weather here in England where it often goes a solid week of dreary, gray, non-stop drizzle.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals