by HotLine1
10/23/16 09:39 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 12
HotLine1 7
renosteinke 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 194 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27826 - 08/02/03 01:17 PM AVO-Biddle
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
Because the megger thread is getting so long.

Spark-master: Never known anyone getting killed by a megger (hy-pot different story) but it WILL make you talk to yourself for awhile though, as will not discharging your cable.

The URL for AVO is:

They have a great library full of books on the subject, and at fairly reasonable prices.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#27827 - 08/03/03 07:02 AM Re: AVO-Biddle
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
I still have an older BM-series Megger, which I like.

It's compact enough to be light and easy to carry around, yet the meter scale (yes, a nice old-fashioned analog meter movement ) is large enough to be clearly readable even in less than ideal conditions.

It's switchable for 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000V, so it's handy for testing telecom lines and other similar LV wiring too.

#27828 - 08/04/03 07:47 PM Re: AVO-Biddle
The Watt Doctor Offline

Loc: Mont Belvieu, TX
I megged myself by accident back when I was in the Nav onboard USS Ranger. As was our routine, before lighting boilers to get underway, we had to go around and meg various motors to insure they weren't grounded before starting. To make a long story short, I snatched the leads off before the megger "bled down", and it put the hurt on me pretty good.

Meg your pardon lady, I thought you were a cow,
The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

#27829 - 08/04/03 08:54 PM Re: AVO-Biddle
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
Good ta hear from ya. The MOST embarrassing megger moment. I'm at Dulles, fussing at a contractor for not finishing his megger tests on time. I know this group pretty well, grabbed the megger and told the tech to write the results as I called them out. I'd megger a set, call out the numbers, and move to the next, not landing them back on the terminals, or grounding them out.

Yup, I leaned up against one. Shortly after my trip across the room, and as soon as the tech and his helper could breathe again, he said "George, did you want me to write that one down??"

Of course, I immediately told them it was a safety demonstration completely put on for their benefit. As soon as I got feeling back in my hands, and the taste of fillings out of my mouth, I got an alligator clip and grounded them all out. Another safety demonstration performed by the Senior Electrical Inspector..... And they think were not dedicated.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals