ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27481 07/17/03 04:27 PM
W
I've got a printing press in an outbuilding. The outbuilding has no power currently, and is est'd 150 yards from power—it's equidistant from the house and the power box. No new poles would need to be put in.

I'm trying to be as cheap as possible until I could get the press running and eventually get it printing jobs that pay, but in the meantime I just want to get it running so I can practice on it. The press will need to be hooked up by an electrician--it needs wiring hooked up directly to it. The press is a huge one and I think it uses something more than 110v (I'm not sure if that means its 220v?)

My question is whether it would be less expensive in short term to have an electrician buy and hook up a gas generator, or whether it's better to wire to the grid. And legal/building code concerns (in general)

Thanks, W

#27482 07/17/03 06:09 PM
D
"My question is whether it would be less expensive in short term to have an electrician buy and hook up a gas generator, or whether it's better to wire to the grid."

My question - define "short term"?

A day, a week, a month?

If you're looking at having a pro come out to do the connection to the power point (generator or sub/panel in the outbuilding), the costs break down into several areas.

Hookup to new panel/new generator - roughly equal;

Cost of OH/UG service to outbuilding vs.
cost of generator AND fuel AND eventual grid power.

Fuel costs keep rising; and , since you mention "short term" it sounds like you're planning a grid connection eventually...why not just bite the bullet now?

You also mention the press is "a big one". In order to get a generator that can effectively and efficiently provide enough power for your press, you'll have to buy a unit that is sized accordingly...possibly driving the costs well above a grid connection.

(in other words, if the demand is 6400 w, don't get a generator w/ a max output of 6500w, since most "max" outputs listed on portable generators are very short duration draws, and continued operation at these levels will overload your generator)

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 07-17-2003).]

#27483 07/17/03 06:56 PM
E
You may have a tough situation here. I've hooked up serveal printing presses and all have required 208v, 3 phase power. If you're in a residentail neighborhood, this type of power most likely is not available. It may be posible to convert the press to 240v(residential), maybe not. You should call an electrician for an estimate.

#27484 07/18/03 09:46 AM
W
Much obliged to both of you. It's helpful to have an idea of what I'd be looking at or discussing when speaking to an electrician.

The neighborhood is rural - this is a farmette. I don't know what the power availability is for the area.

Thanks again, W

Link Copied to Clipboard