Now Available!

Recent Posts
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
Yesterday at 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
Is this a fix or just a bandaid?
by gfretwell
10/10/16 06:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
HotLine1 6
renosteinke 6
ghost307 5
sparky 4
Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 244 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27460 - 07/16/03 02:00 PM Nitpicking?
rowdyrudy Offline

Loc: Mascoutah, IL USA
Received a transcript of a IAEI meeting. What a bunch of nitpicking at this one.
This one caught my eye. What constitutes a finished basement? No consensus on this. One participant indicated that he had approved installation that had infrared sauna, exercise equipment, TV, VCR, couch, table, chairs, refrigerator, etc. This installation had concrete floor so some participants said it was an “unfinished” basement and all except dedicated circuits must be GFI. What caught my attention on this is that I have the same equipment except no refrigerator but an added sump pump, pressure pump, 2-52 gal. H2O, and softener. and no GFI’s were installed or required on any item.
My pressure pump is on commercial water service due to 2nd floor and 5 baths. Also 225 ft. from main. My supply line to home is 1-1/4 in.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#27461 - 07/18/03 10:35 AM Re: Nitpicking?
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
I can see it now, someday there will be a separate book of electrical code definitions & it will be at least as thick as the NEC.

Until there is a definition, then this remains a judgement call. I'm kinda conservative, so I'd say if the exterior walls are concrete block or concrete, with no drywall or paneling covering them, this is unfinished.

What does a concrete floor have to do with anything? Here in the Mountain State, I've seen houses with dirt floors, thats really unfinished.

What is the definition of basement?
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

#27462 - 07/18/03 10:44 AM Re: Nitpicking?
rowdyrudy Offline

Loc: Mascoutah, IL USA
A local code modification indicates that GFI's are required only in a basement that has an earthen floor. Seems like common sense has prevailed.

#27463 - 07/18/03 05:53 PM Re: Nitpicking?
sparky Offline

Common sense is (or maybe i should say was) the premis of the NEC Rowdy.

The problem is we have grey areas that people nitpick, as well as arbitrary bechmarks that others will defend tooth and nail

both camps do the document an injustice by throwing good old American horse sense out to pasture.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals