The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
failed home inspection.
by HotLine1
01/19/17 01:41 PM
Safety at heights?
by Trumpy
01/19/17 05:25 AM
Old Bath Fan
by gfretwell
01/19/17 01:38 AM
Search Function
by Webmaster
01/18/17 11:13 PM
Forum Software Upgrade coming soon...
by Webmaster
01/18/17 09:17 PM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
Webmaster 30
HotLine1 21
Ruben Rocha 16
Trumpy 13
gfretwell 13
Who's Online
1 registered (Ruben Rocha), 0 Guests and 196 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27282 - 07/08/03 03:40 PM replacing 2-w receptacles
Cindy Offline

Registered: 06/23/01
Posts: 196
Loc: PDX, OR, US
406.3D tells you what to do when replacing receptacles... in Oregon we have a state statute that says you don't have to replace anything if it complied when it was installed... so we still have a lot of 2-wire systems... does everyone here have the same kind of state rules or does something drive the upgrade requiremnet?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#27283 - 07/08/03 05:50 PM Re: replacing 2-w receptacles
HotLine1 Offline


Registered: 04/03/02
Posts: 6832
Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Here in NJ, we cannot "make" someone upgrade anything, unless it is a safety hazzard, or there is a renovation in progress.

I think most people change the receptacles so they can plug in a 3 prong item. Some "house inspectors" used to write up the old outlets, and request that they be changed.

Some towns have a property maintenance code (local ordinance), and they may require/request replacement of devices.
Hope this helps.

#27284 - 07/08/03 07:22 PM Re: replacing 2-w receptacles
John Steinke Offline

Registered: 04/03/01
Posts: 509
Loc: Reno,Nv., USA
Some observations:
A safe way to "upgrade" to three-prong outlets is to use a GFCI receptacle to protect the circuit.
The bad news is, the GFCI's often have trouble fitting into the older, smaller k&t boxes. The easiest way around this is to use a "wiremold" extension to mount the receptacle out from the wall- but that's no always practical.

#27285 - 07/08/03 08:47 PM Re: replacing 2-w receptacles
DougW Offline

Registered: 06/08/03
Posts: 1083
Loc: North Chicago, IL
A lot of communities have similar statutes. In my town, a building damaged more than 50% (51%, actually) must be rebuilt to modern codes. Otherwise, if it was "to code" when it was built, it's still "to code" now.

#27286 - 07/09/03 07:51 PM Re: replacing 2-w receptacles
Steve Miller Offline

Registered: 08/30/01
Posts: 322
Loc: Loudoun Cty, VA
Here in VA/DC/MD suburbs the general rule is if you work on it, it has to be brought up to code. If it's not code now and you leave it alone it's ok (it won't meet code but we don't have to change it)

#27287 - 07/09/03 08:45 PM Re: replacing 2-w receptacles
SvenNYC Offline

Registered: 08/19/02
Posts: 1685
Loc: New York City
The easiest way around this is to use a "wiremold" extension to mount the receptacle out from the wall- but that's no always practical.

I had to do this a while back on a receptacle box that was overcrowded because of some building handyman adding to the circuit. The man had wrapped additional conductors under each one of the terminal screws in the outlet, so that each terminal screw held two wires!

I pigtailed all the lines together and all the neutrals together so that I ended up with four wires (two lives, two neutrals, one wire per screw) and had to use a metal Wiremold box in order to extend the box so I could fit the receptacle.

It was either that or rip up the concrete wall and install a bigger box....not an option. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's done this. There's another receptacle I'm going to have to do this also.

#27288 - 07/10/03 04:08 AM Re: replacing 2-w receptacles
Redsy Offline

Registered: 03/28/01
Posts: 2138
Loc: Bucks County PA
While one method to address 2-wire receptacles is to replace with a GFCI, Creighton reminded us that 250.114 requires certain appliances to be grounded.
So, depending upon the situation, some additional thougth may be required.


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals