Now Available!

Recent Posts
Forum Software Upgrade coming soon...
by Webmaster
Today at 12:03 AM
Re: Fabricating Guards out of Lexan?
by frank
Yesterday at 04:11 PM
Would ELV branch circuits be a good idea?
by gfretwell
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
Why cables look like they do
by Texas_Ranger
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
100% breakers?
by Texas_Ranger
01/16/17 06:13 AM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
Webmaster 20
HotLine1 19
gfretwell 13
Trumpy 12
ghost307 12
Who's Online
1 registered (brsele), 0 Guests and 208 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27019 - 06/28/03 12:58 PM Corp. vs LLC, etc.
MONOLITH Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
For those of you that are heading your own registered business, I was looking for some comments.

Since I am about to launch my own company, and become legit, I have done all the research about Corporations,both S and C types, LLC's, etc.

It would seem that for an electrical contractor the obvious choice is the corporation. S type at first, to take advantage of startup costs on my personal taxes until I make a reasonable profit (god willing ), then convert to C type to keep the profits off my personal taxes.

I do not wish to have a partnership of any type, and there seems to be many advantages of the Corp over an LLC.

Aside from reading books, I was looking for some first hand experienced comments and advice from those of you out there that went thru it.

Thanks.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#27020 - 06/28/03 03:02 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
Electric Eagle Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I did a C corp from the start. It was just the way I was advised, however I don't think there's anything wrong with an S corp. I withold taxes from my paycheck and give myself a W-2 just like any other employee. I think it makes it easier to keep staight what's mine and what's the company's. Ask your CPA and an attorney.

#27021 - 06/28/03 04:13 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
walrus Offline

Loc: Bangor Me. USA
I run a C corp also. Give myself a monthly salary, at the end of my fiscal year I give myself a bonus(esentially empty bank account) thru payroll to avoid paying corporate taxes. My business never seems to make money
I also make sure I do everything as my company and not as me to try and limit liability. Unfortunately I'm probably still on the hook

#27022 - 06/28/03 04:43 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
sparky Offline

MONOLITH, check out score ,a dept of the SBA that will give you free advice on the subject.

of interest to you may be the fact that you as one entity can be many S-corps, ergo you may rent/lease from yourself on paper...

#27023 - 06/28/03 07:23 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
Electric Eagle Offline

quote from Walrus: "My business never seems to make money"

LOL, It's amazing, my company never seems to show a profit either. Only had to pay corporate taxes 1 year and learned to never make money again.

#27024 - 07/07/03 04:48 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
ayrton Offline

Loc: Pa
Lets just hope 'Big Brother' doesn't read these posts

#27025 - 07/07/03 06:02 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
Electric Eagle Offline

Big brother can read all he wants, I'm not doing anything illegal. Just making sure transactions are timed right. My company has never been audited, but I'm sure it would hold up.

#27026 - 07/07/03 08:50 PM Re: Corp. vs LLC, etc.
George Offline

MONOLITH ---

There is very little advantage of one form of organization over another.

Ask your CPA what the difference in preparing your taxes will be. He can probably advise you best.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals