ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26569 06/15/03 04:21 PM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Anyone know the scoop about how to safely meg a circuit breaker? I often wonder if all the electronics that are part of circuit breakers these days would mess up megger readings. Suppose, for example, someone wants to meg out a circuit from a supply bus bar, through a distribution panel circuit breaker, through the feeder conductors..stopping at the open branch circuit breaker. Is this a practice which might show misleadingly low resistance numbers due solely to the feeder circuit breaker's electronic trip package?
Are there limits to how high the test voltage should be? Would a 1kV test voltage mess up, or interact with the trip unit, in a 240 volt breaker?

#26570 06/15/03 07:09 PM
B
It’s probably a little more common to use 500VDC on 240/208V stuff. As for readings, it’s primarily a matter of experience, and comparing pole-to-pole readings for lack of any IR history. In electronic-trip molded-case breakers, if there is no external communications or relaying, the meg tests generally shouldn’t damage anything—but get your mitts on the breaker instruction pamphlet for any warnings.

Biddle sells a booklet titled “A Stitch in Time” that covers the subject in a practical manner.

Obviously, megging a VFD would be suicide.

Link Copied to Clipboard