Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 33
HotLine1 21
Ruben Rocha 16
gfretwell 15
Trumpy 13
Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 196 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2649 - 07/17/01 01:24 PM Fixtures as raceways
Marmat Offline

Loc: Maryland
I need help on this one...........A large room as 4 rows of fluorescent fixtures. The contractor has jumped from row to row with Greenfield through the fixtures (not using any junction boxes). The fixtures are not listed as a raceway for circuit conductors. Is this legal?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#2650 - 07/17/01 01:30 PM Re: Fixtures as raceways
sparky Offline

welcome Marmat!

I'm reading 410-31 and wondering exactly how the contractor 'daiseychained'. If done with 2 entries or 1 dual entry.

#2651 - 07/18/01 11:36 AM Re: Fixtures as raceways
Marmat Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by sparky:
welcome Marmat!

I'm reading 410-31 and wondering exactly how the contractor 'daiseychained'. If done with 2 entries or 1 dual entry.

The contractor fed the first row of fixtures with a 1/2" greenfield. He then came out of the same fixture to feed the next row (2 entries....one in-one out). This was then repeated for all the rows (in and out each fixture).

#2652 - 07/18/01 03:05 PM Re: Fixtures as raceways
sparky Offline

Marmat;
I mentioned the latter in hopes the wiring did not pass by the ballast, as it does , and it is not listed for such i'd say it is an inappropriate application.

#2653 - 07/19/01 05:41 AM Re: Fixtures as raceways
WARREN1 Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC, USA
In your first post, you mentioned the fixtures are not listed for use as raceways. Art. 410-31 says specifically that fixtures shall not be used as a raceway for conductors. Exception No. 1 is for fixtures listed for use as a raceway. In several places in Art. 410, there is mention of an outlet box. I remember in the past that we were to design with outlet boxes, however I can't seem to find the requirement in the Code now. Although, check 410-67(c). Several commentary illustrations show an outlet box within one foot of the fixture, therefore, I think an outlet box adjacent to the fixture is the way to go.

#2654 - 07/19/01 10:46 PM Re: Fixtures as raceways
tajoch Offline

Loc: Quinlan texas, usa
Been awhile since I looked for this one, but, as I remember....<G>, the fixtures Must have written on them suitable fer use as a raceway, and they must be installed end to end........

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals