ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25678 05/15/03 08:26 PM
D
Out at the complex someone decided to drive some metal fence posts without doing the "call before you dig". Mananged to hit a 1 1/4 pvc pipe with 208V dead center. He did not notice until another employee asked him why he got a shock when he touched the fence. He dug out around it and saw the damage and called me. He did not trip the breaker. I find it quite curious as to why he did not call me right away.

My question is whats the best way to fix this? The wire will be pulled out as it is badly nicked and repulled with new wire. As for the pipe I have made a "slip" coupling in the past where you file down the stop in the center. Might also end up digging out to the 90 and pulling it back a little to glue the joint if needed.

Is there a better way or do they make products for this such as the plumbers repair slip joint? Or even an expansion type joint?

Punch line: the guy who did this is the complex safety man.

#25679 05/15/03 08:34 PM
S
The best fix is to repull the wire, expansion joints are a possibility if the wire is direct burial, so is a UG slice box, and rated/listed splicing kits.

however, being in view from this 'puter of some of my ornery critters cribbing the h**l outta my fence , a 208v horse fence doesn't sound so bad..... [Linked Image]

#25680 05/16/03 08:51 AM
E
www.carlon.com they have a repair coupling sleeve.

#25681 05/16/03 09:20 PM
D
scott: thanks that seems like a good idea but due to time restraints I had to make something work.

sparky: someone suggested using a splice box but since we have no splice kits on site and it would take forever to get one I opted to repull the wire and fix the pipe. We have wire in the shop.

Ended up filing down the center ridge of a coupling to make a "slip" coupling. It worked.

I found out today that the PHD "post hole digger" did in fact trip the breaker but never bothered to tell me. To say that I am upset would be putting it midly, he is on vacation and when he gets back mr teeed off electrician will have a little chat with him.

As an aside, one of the "maint" guys who works with me suggested I cut a pipe in half lengthwise and clamshell over the broken pipe with lotso silcone. And that was the best idea, some of them suggested just taping up the wire and forgetting about it. No way no how

Its fun being the only licensed electrician among 15 other unlicensed Maint guys, actually theres on AC guy with a license. He is the only one that does not mess with me. Everyone else would rather "rig" something up than use the proper size strap or whatever.

#25682 05/16/03 09:50 PM
drillman,
3M make a good kit for these types of situations.
It's called a ScotchLok 82A jointing kit
and it can be seen at www.3m.com
I've used heaps of these kits and they're easy to use as long as you follow the instructions!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard