Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 228 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24671 - 04/18/03 05:51 AM 1/2" nonferrous ground rods
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
Does anyone know if galvanized ground rods come under the definition of nonferrous ground rod? If so, then does that not fall under the exception of using 1/2" ground rods. Just wondering. Our Lowes here only carries 1/2" galvanized ground rods. I picked up two for a job, because I didn't want to go across town to the supply house. Took a chance on driving them, and was turned down. Inspector said they had to be 5/8", which I always have driven, but I looked at the code, and seen where stainless steel or nonferrous ground rods could be 1/2". Nonferrous must have a broader meaning than I thought. Any thoughts on the matter is aprreciated. Thanks. By the way, it's been a while since I have been able to be on the forum. I had to get a permanent job, which didn't work out, but I'm back on my own again... Work seems to be picking up some again.... Thanks... Steve.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#24672 - 04/18/03 06:30 AM Re: 1/2" nonferrous ground rods
Gwz Offline

Is this another case where EVERYONE is convinced the supplier, in this case a ' big box ' supply house, only carries the proper item to meet the NEC ?

Just this week, had an AHJ tell me that [ a well known electrical suppier ] doesn't carry any items which are not listed, such as per NEC 352.10(G).

#24673 - 04/18/03 06:32 AM Re: 1/2" nonferrous ground rods
resqcapt19 Offline

Loc: IL
Steve
The galvanizing on the surface of an iron or steel rod does not make it a nonferrous rod. Does your magnet stick to the rod? If so it must be at least 5/8".
Don

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals