ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 16
Recent Posts
fuse rejectors
by gfretwell. 03/23/17 01:12 PM
Another Forum Update
by Admin. 03/22/17 03:04 PM
Dining room plugs
by watersparkfalls. 03/21/17 10:31 PM
TRUE POWER
by jraef. 03/21/17 09:13 PM
WEG CFW-11 Frequency Inverter
by jraef. 03/21/17 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
231,281 Are you busy
165,994 Re: Forum
160,502 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 54 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#24482 - 04/14/03 10:54 AM Gilbert Electric (New York City) - Who remembers/recognizes this brand?  
SvenNYC  Offline
New York City
I've been trying to find some information on the Internet on this wiring device manufacturer but nothing comes up.

Their name appears a lot on those miniature cord-switches for SPT-1 lampcord (with the insulation-piercing points and the two halves that you screw together).

On some really old lamps I've seen one type called the "Shockproof" switch, which uses two metal clips to clamp the two halves of the shell together, instead of a screw through the middle.

Gilbert also makes/made a type of ez-on two-pin cord cap for SPT-1 cord where the wire was inserted into a little groove on the shell of the plug and a cover slides into place.

I haven't seen new Gilbert-branded cord-switches in the lighting-parts stores in my area but the plugs are sold in various colors (black, brown, gold, ivory, white) and in polarized and un-polarized configs.

There is also a mating cord-connector.

I assume the company -- or at least the name -- still has to be in business otherwise every single lighting store in New York City wouldn't be selling them....

Unless there is a massive warehouse somewhere with boxes and boxes - MILLIONS of these things sitting in there and these places have been trying to get rid of them for YEARS! [Linked Image]

Also, who recognizes another NYC-based brand of devices (mostly lampholder clusters and individual lampholders) called 'Triboro.'?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#24483 - 04/14/03 07:09 PM Re: Gilbert Electric (New York City) - Who remembers/recognizes this brand?  
walrus  Offline
Bangor Me. USA
Sven
My mothers sister(my Aunt, long since passed away) married the man who owned this company. My cousin Peter ran it for years and brought it back from the dead. They made Christmas lights with a push in socket(big time in the 60s [Linked Image] ) instead of screw in. Not sure what else they made but know they made all kinds of plugs and cords etc. Not sure what happened to it but I believe Peter sold it.Made lots of money I believe. Haven't talked to them in many years.

Member Spotlight
Vlado
Vlado
Croatia
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box