ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24393 - 04/10/03 08:37 PM What kind of meter
rusty Offline
Junior Member
Registered: 12/22/02
Posts: 6
Loc: aurora, ne. usa
What kind of clamp on meter would anyone recommend for a basic "hands free meter", I clamp it on somewhere so I don't have to hold it while checking volts, amps, resistance, etc. I have been using Amprobe's ACD10 and go through 1 or 2 a year (very rough service). Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input!
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#24394 - 04/10/03 09:16 PM Re: What kind of meter
Trumpy Offline

Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8211
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Gidday Rusty,
Welcome to ECN, mate!
I've heard that the Fluke 30 Clamp is supposed to be pretty good.
Personally, I use a Fluke T5-1000, but it doesn't have a "Closing Jaw" system like other clampmeters, so you have to hold the wire in the space between the forks.
Hope this helps!.
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin
#24395 - 04/11/03 10:59 AM Re: What kind of meter
JCooper Offline
Registered: 12/30/02
Posts: 228
Loc: Kendall Park, NJ USA
I have a Fluke 333 clamp on meter and it has served me well so far, only had it about four months, I also have a Fluke 75 and I believe you can get a kit to hang them, it comes with a strap as well as a nice size magnet to stick onto building steel or whatever is around.

Member Spotlight
Member Since: 12/24/00
Posts: 4259
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9
Newest Members
Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals