Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24154 - 04/05/03 09:39 PM any welders?
Eandrew Offline

Loc: seattle, wa, usa
Yes, I'm a 5th year inside wireman and I was just thinking of getting my certification in welding. I guess you get an additional 5% here in seattle. I was wondering if anyone else as it, and if it has been worth it to have it in the electrical trade. I know its kind of a pain to keep it current. Do you think it makes you more employable though?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#24155 - 04/05/03 11:36 PM Re: any welders?
stamcon Offline

Loc: So San Francisco CA
Eandrew, I'm not a certified welder, but I do some welding at home. In this day and age, the more trades you know how to do(and especially if you can be certified) the better off you will be. I hear from too many people who know one trade(white or blue collar), get laid off and can't find work in the only trade they know.

#24156 - 04/06/03 07:56 AM Re: any welders?
ThinkGood Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
stamcon:
 Quote:
In this day and age, the more trades you know how to do(and especially if you can be certified) the better off you will be.

DITTO!

#24157 - 04/06/03 10:57 AM Re: any welders?
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
Eandrew,
Go for it!!!!!!! When I got out of my apprenticeship, I took an extra code course, welding, HV splicing, HVAC, and motors, all offered through the local. The result is each little cert you own will stand well with you no matter where you go. You will not likely ever be out of work, ya might not always like what you are doing, but will be able to change it.
NEVER turn down a chance to learn something else.

#24158 - 04/09/03 02:04 AM Re: any welders?
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
George,
Couldn't agree with you more!.
When I served my Electrician's Apprenticeship, welding was one of the skills you had to know how to do, you couldn't get registration without it.
In hindsight, I'm glad I did, as its really handy for repairing all manner of things at home and at work!.

#24159 - 04/09/03 03:21 AM Re: any welders?
Trainwire Offline

Loc: Strasburg,PA,USA
One of the things about working here is that you never know what you'll wind up doing next. Even as the "company electrician" I wind up in the shop doing something, it's nice to be able to make the transformer mount you need, or fab up a part for the signal your rebuilding.

It always amazes me how much gets thrown out in this country because "it's broke". Well, fix it! The number of people who haven't a clue how is amazing.

Go for the cert man.

TW

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals