ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#22481 02/23/03 09:05 AM
Static Electricity is a problem in certain areas, and around certain equipment.

I would like to hear of your experiences related to this subject.

FPN: For further information on protection against static electricity and lightning hazards in hazardous (classified) locations, see NFPA 77-2000, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity; NFPA 780-1997, Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems; and API RP 2003-1998, Protection Against Ignitions Arising Out of Static Lightning and Stray Currents.

FPN: For information on grounding for static protection, see 5.6.3.4 and 5.6.3.5 of NFPA 30-2000, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code.

Article 516:

The handle of the spraying gun shall be electrically connected to ground by a metallic connection and be constructed so that the operator in normal operating position is in intimate electrical contact with the grounded handle to prevent buildup of a static charge on the operator’s body.

Signs indicating the necessity for grounding other persons entering the spray area shall be conspicuously posted.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#22482 02/23/03 09:26 AM
I
I got called to a super market because they had a cash register that the PC for was locking up. The contractor that handles the data work had determined it was an electrical problem. When I met the technician he said the power was going "out". When I showed him there was a Small plug in type UPS in line with his PC he did not know what to say.

Now he called his office and they told him to check for grounding, It turns out that a ground strap was missing going to the cash drawer from the PC and when people touched the drawer the static charge caused the PC to lock up and need rebooting.

I'll add the cash drawer did not have any line voltage in it, only control power from PC that's why it was not grounded already.
Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#22483 02/23/03 09:50 PM
H
My biggest problem with static electricity is when the the doctor comes near me with a stethascope (SP?)and when he touches me, BANG. The staic discharges to me. I jump a foot and the Doc can't figure out why. I tell him that I was an electrician and any shock makes me jump first and asak questions later. [Linked Image]

#22484 02/24/03 07:44 AM
T
All I know is every time I take my jacket off and touch metal i'm getting blasted. It's starting to p** me off.

Come on spring... This dry weather is a killer.

#22485 02/24/03 09:24 AM
S
I stayed at a hotel in a Boston suburb (Westford) two weekends ago. VERY cold and DRY!

After taking off my jacket and walking across the (carpeted) floor of the room I went to turn on the radio.

When my finger fumbled for the bandswitch to turn the radio from FM to AM (I wanted to listen to WRKO) I felt a zap and the clock on the radio started flashing 12:00 - 12:00 -12:00.

I just reset the clock....but good thing I didn't fry the hotel's clock-radio!!! First time I had ever had that happen iwth static electricity. I've heard of static discharges frying computer equipment and other microchip based stuff.

At work I'm constantly getting zapped from the low-voltage switches used to release the magnetic locks on the doors to the various floors in my company's offices. They are metal push buttons mounted on stainless steel plates. Either that or the elevator buttons which are also metal....or even doorknobs.

I wonder if walking around with a little grounding strap attached to my shoe would work. But those are expensive.

#22486 02/24/03 09:32 AM
T
There e-mails circulating about static electricity sparking fires at gas stations. Many of them contained exaggerations and/or errors.

However, there is a legitimate concern, as is explained here: http://www.pei.org/static/

#22487 02/25/03 05:17 PM
W
svenNYC;
I noticed you mentioned Westford. I live in Chelmsford, north side, right on the Westford line. And you're right, cold and dry around here.
~Ange

Link Copied to Clipboard