If it is for child safety you might want to check out this outlet from Hubbell it has switches inside that do not turn the power on until a correct plug is plugged in, sticking a paper clip or something like that is harmless. I have installed a lot of these but I do not know the pricing I think about the same as GFCIs. http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/sec...3468,13493,4804
The link is for a ivory 15 amp duplex (The specifcation and model number not the picture) but you can get standard colors in 15 or 20 amp versions.
It would be OK to put in GFCIs but they do not prevent shocks they limit the duration of the shock.
[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-19-2003).]