by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 09:09 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 123 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22036 - 02/17/03 04:49 AM Salt Water Rated?
tsolanto Offline

Loc: Long Island NY
I spent half Saturday and all day Sunday troubleshooting and temporarily repairing a problem with a service feeder.

Who's got it better than me?

The electrician that did the wiring for this apartment complex put all the meters in one of two buildings. All the feeders for the second building were run underground to each apartment load center.

The tenant was complaining that the power would go out in the whole apartment ramdomly. I met with the building super and found that the main for that particular apartment was tripping. I tested everything I could think of and found that the wiring going from the building with the main to the other building had a high impedence short from phase a to ground. From time to time it would trip the apartment main.

These apartments are 100yds. from the open bay. The conductors used to feed underground had markings on it (Type HH). I probably can assume this is RHH but it did not say it on the wire.

Question is... Can HH or RHH handle the rigors of contact with salt water. Is that what caused this problem? Maybe a Knick in the wire in conjuction with the salt caused the problem? We won't know until it gets dug up but I was wondering if RHH could handle salt?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#22037 - 02/17/03 05:07 AM Re: Salt Water Rated?
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Any underground run is considered a wet location, and the conductors must be rated as such.
Type RH or RHH is for dry locations only. Type RHW is rated for wet locations...S

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals