ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
We hung some temporary lites last week. They were the McGill "sting-o-lites" style with guards.

I used tye wire to hang the lampholders and was told by the general that any conductive wire is an OSHA violation. That's a new one for me. Has anyone run into this or been fined for it?

We changed the support to insulated wire.

GJ

I
Yes I have run into this, the company I work for has us use poly pull string I suggested using insulated wire when we did not have string and was told no, still conductive.

We also make sure no temp wire touches building steel by use of the string or insulation.

I can not cite an OSHA standard but from the level of attention we give the temps
I would think it must be in there.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
F
yeah i did heard about that and not only mcgill compaine but few other compaine too have the same probem too and i use insluated cord something like oversized so or soj cables with molded light socket that i used for small area BUT for large area i used the hid light fixure with wirecage on it ( manufactered by rudd compaine) and work out very nice for large area [Linked Image]
btw check the catalog on mcgill to find diffrent version with molded socket with plastic cylinder attached that what i used

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

N
These OSHA standards may help you.

1926.405(a)(2)(ii)(F)
Temporary lights shall not be suspended by their electric cords unless cords and lights are designed for this means of suspension.

1926.416(e)(2)
Extension cords shall not be fastened with staples, hung from nails, or suspended by wire.

Link Copied to Clipboard