Yesterday at 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
sparky66wv 8
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
Who's Online
2 registered (PoLu, eMeasure), 277 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#217330 - 06/21/16 01:24 AM detailed sizes of US standard sockets
popo0000 Offline

Loc: europe
Hi folks,
I am looking for a pictures with detailed sizes of US standards for sockets and switch plates,
does any one of you have such a file ?

I would appreciate, I need it for creating designer plates, and as I am not US based it would help.

Regards
Patricia

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#217332 - 06/21/16 09:57 AM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Did you get the instant message I sent about this? The details are here

https://www.nema.org/standards/pages/Wiring-Devices-Dimensional-Specifications.aspx

#217334 - 06/21/16 12:00 PM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
gfretwell Offline

The listing issue is interesting. I looked at a bunch of covers and there seems to be a mix of listed and unlisted. The normal commodity plates, made by major manufacturers bear a listing mark on the package but there are plenty of "designer" plates that do not.
As an inspector, if it looks OK (sturdy. reasonable sealing and no combustible material facing the inside of the box) I would not give it a second thought. I actually had to look hard to see a "U/L stamp" on a Leviton but it is there.

#217335 - 06/21/16 01:05 PM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
popo0000 Offline

SO it looks like I try to enter area where some legal requirements are in place,

but even if I want to offer a "half" product I mean plate only ? So the rest would do professional electrician.

Of coure it would be expensive and niche product. Not a mass market.

#217336 - 06/21/16 01:13 PM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
ghost307 Offline

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Go here http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/csi.aspx and put wallplates in the search box.

That gives more dimensions than I would ever want.

The screws are oval head 6-32.

#217337 - 06/21/16 01:20 PM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
OK, let me throw this in here:

Products are 'supposed' to be evaluated/tested by a NRTL, such as UL, or others that are approved here in the USA

Do all 'products' have 'labels' to show the NRTL? Short answer is NO.

Cover plates for switches, receptacles, etc., are IMHO a 60/40 mix. Have I had any issues? As Greg said, if it looks 'good', it's not an issue. In order to see any label. the cover would have to be removed, as the NRTL label would be on the backside. (Who has time for that?)

Good luck!!

#217338 - 06/21/16 01:27 PM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
popo0000 Offline

@gfretwell @ghost307 many thank for links !

The idea of making that product is quite fresh, and to be honest I am a bit worry, you know...if something goes wrong, I could end up in a jail if I dont have that US stamp which claim the product is safe....

#217349 - 06/22/16 10:48 AM Re: detailed sizes of US standard sockets [Re: popo0000]
gfretwell Offline

This is not something you go to jail for but you might end up in civil court if your product was seen as causing someone harm. Unfortunately, in the US, that is always a concern, no matter what you are doing. We just have too many lawyers.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals