ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 382 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Hi folks,
I am looking for a pictures with detailed sizes of US standards for sockets and switch plates,
does any one of you have such a file ?

I would appreciate, I need it for creating designer plates, and as I am not US based it would help.

Regards
Patricia

G
Did you get the instant message I sent about this? The details are here

https://www.nema.org/standards/pages/Wiring-Devices-Dimensional-Specifications.aspx

Greg Fretwell
G
The listing issue is interesting. I looked at a bunch of covers and there seems to be a mix of listed and unlisted. The normal commodity plates, made by major manufacturers bear a listing mark on the package but there are plenty of "designer" plates that do not.
As an inspector, if it looks OK (sturdy. reasonable sealing and no combustible material facing the inside of the box) I would not give it a second thought. I actually had to look hard to see a "U/L stamp" on a Leviton but it is there.

Greg Fretwell
P
SO it looks like I try to enter area where some legal requirements are in place,

but even if I want to offer a "half" product I mean plate only ? So the rest would do professional electrician.

Of coure it would be expensive and niche product. Not a mass market.

G
Go here http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/csi.aspx and put wallplates in the search box.

That gives more dimensions than I would ever want.

The screws are oval head 6-32.

Ghost307
OK, let me throw this in here:

Products are 'supposed' to be evaluated/tested by a NRTL, such as UL, or others that are approved here in the USA

Do all 'products' have 'labels' to show the NRTL? Short answer is NO.

Cover plates for switches, receptacles, etc., are IMHO a 60/40 mix. Have I had any issues? As Greg said, if it looks 'good', it's not an issue. In order to see any label. the cover would have to be removed, as the NRTL label would be on the backside. (Who has time for that?)

Good luck!!

John
P
@gfretwell @ghost307 many thank for links !

The idea of making that product is quite fresh, and to be honest I am a bit worry, you know...if something goes wrong, I could end up in a jail if I dont have that US stamp which claim the product is safe....

G
This is not something you go to jail for but you might end up in civil court if your product was seen as causing someone harm. Unfortunately, in the US, that is always a concern, no matter what you are doing. We just have too many lawyers.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard