ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Somewhere is the previous codes I remember the minimum height of a disconnect on a mobile home was 2 ft. I have a potential job that the meter and panel is burnt up, and needs replacing. The height now is only 18 inches, and it will have to be dropped about 2 or 3 inches so that the wires will reach the new "feed thru" panel. I can't seem to find it in the 2011 code book I'm looking in. Can anyone help me find this. I talked with the local inspector and he didn't seem to know and said I might have to run new wires to the inside panel to get the panel high enough. Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
This is the first I have heard of a 'minimum' level. If there were one, I expect it would be found in the standards of the local PoCo.

PoCo standards are not binding when the park does its' own billing.

"Standard" Service pedestals seem to place the meter at about the 4-ft. level. Such pedestals have, as part of their base, an accessible trough that extends into the ground. I would expect that you can splice the wires in that trough, to reach where you must.

How to splice? My first choice would be crimps, wrapped in tape and covered with Scotchkote. NSI's Polaris connectors would be my next choice, similarly sealed with Scotchkote.

G
It's in 550.32.

Ghost307
G
Ghost is right on

(F) Mounting Height. Outdoor mobile home disconnecting means shall be installed so the bottom of the enclosure containing the disconnecting means is not less than 600 mm (2 ft) above finished grade or working platform. The disconnecting means shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle, when in the highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the finished grade or working platform.

Greg Fretwell
S
Thanks a lot. I knew it used to be in there. I just couldn't find it.

S
If I put a pvc junction box under the panel to make splices, and have 2" pvc coming in one side from the bottom and 2"pvc going out the other side up to the panel, will the size of the junction box have to be at least 12" since 314.28 (2) says that it must be 6 times the largest raceway entering the box? My other question would be how deep would it have to be? 12x12x12? or could it be 12x12x8 ?? sort of confused on the depth.

G
I don't think the depth is addressed directly but you still need enough volume for the fill. This is mainly just addressing the bending space laterally

Greg Fretwell
S
Thanks Greg. I couldn't see that it was either.

Link Copied to Clipboard