by Potseal
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 202 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213407 - 04/24/14 02:46 PM Tool advice needed...
Tesla Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I'm getting weak in the knees and need to entirely back away from feeder pulls and grunt work.

I've only worked the alarm/data-com side of the street from time to time. I never had to tool up when I did.

So, I just don't have any data-com tools to speak of.

[exceptions for LSD wire pulling suite, signal toners,...]

I'd like anyone's list of basics (hand tools) that are worthy, brand names in particular.

anyone

Study Guides for VDV / Structured Cabling Installers
#213408 - 04/24/14 05:45 PM Re: Tool advice needed... [Re: Tesla]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
How involved do you want to get?

I'd start off visiting the BICSI website and ordering their book. Then I'd arrange a week off to go to their first-level course. (Some places offer the course over two weekends).

If nothing else, the course will give you a real good idea of what you need, at which stage of the career.

I'd keep the Coax and Data tools in separate kits- I've never had to use both at the same time.

Ideal (sold on this site) sells a nice set of Coax tools, with a mechanics' bag of parts. It's a pretty good set-up. For Coax all you need is a stripper and a compression tool. Forget about the crimp connectors - they're obsolete. A can wrench is nice to have.

For data, tools are kind of brand-specific. They give strippers away as swag. Just add a punch-down tool with both #66 and #110 blades.

Progressive / Tempo have a great toner set (which you probably already have) and awesome buttsets. Don't want to buy a buttset right away? Get a cheap telephone and rig one up.

Fiber is another dedicated tool pouch, and I'm not really qualified to advise you there.

#213409 - 04/24/14 05:52 PM Re: Tool advice needed... [Re: Tesla]
grich Offline

Loc: MP89.5, Mason City Subdivision
So, you have the toner...does your wire-pulling suite include fish-stix?

Punch-down tool...Fluke (formerly Harris, Dracon) D814 is still the standard, I suppose, with both 66 and 110 blades. In my home kit I have one from Ideal that has a spudger and hook that fold out of the handle.

For the times where you might need to crimp connectors onto phone or LAN cables, I have a crimper from Paladin, along with an old Paladin snap-n-seal tool for F compression connectors.

My butt-set is an old beat-up TS-21. You should have a good data-safe butt-set, but I haven't shopped for one in awhile.

There's a start...

#213410 - 04/24/14 05:55 PM Re: Tool advice needed... [Re: grich]
grich Offline

Loc: MP89.5, Mason City Subdivision
Renosteinke gave you a better start than I did...he types faster than I do... smile

#213411 - 04/24/14 08:44 PM Re: Tool advice needed... [Re: Tesla]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
If you are going to crunch on the RJ plugs, don't cheap out on that tool.

#213425 - 04/26/14 05:45 PM Re: Tool advice needed... [Re: Tesla]
JoeTestingEngr Offline

Loc: Chicago, Il.
Maybe checking out Ron Kipper Datacomm on YouTube will give you some ideas. I was a lucky winner on his meter give away and he often gives away returned test equipment. Tons of good videos on there!
Joe

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals