ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212915 02/27/14 11:28 AM
W
wewire2 Offline OP
NEC 314.15 requires compression rigid fittings to be listed for wet locations. Any leads on 2" wet location compression rigid fittings? I did a search and didn't find anything. I'm seeing recent projects that are passing inspection with the concrete type fittings. It's also surprising that quite a few supply houses I've been to still don't even carry wet location fittings for EMT or rigid. Is this being enforced in your area?

S
I'll see what I can find. I knew when I was coming up in the trade, there weren't any listed coupling. A few years ago I do believe Thomas and betts had one. It was gold in color to easily identify it as the listed fitting

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Do you mean "EMT" fittings?

U/L started listing them around 2002 but, unfortunately the color coding thing was not specified so the manufacturers trademarked their own colors.
Some are gold, some are blue and some are silver and stamped "wet location".
Your supply house should have them. I even see them at Home Depot.

Greg Fretwell
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Started using the wet location EMT fittings as soon as they came available. I figured it wasn't worth risking having to repull wire even though most of the contractors in the area were still using concrete type fittings. Some still are and are getting away with it. The price has come down so it's logical to use the correct fittings. Rigid wet location fittings are a different animal. I'm not seeing anything available.

T
By 'concrete type' I presume you mean common compression fittings...

Because even die-cast set screw connectors are rated for concrete -- if wrapped/ tarred.

&&&

The biggest user of compression fittings is the State of California. It's as common as dust for State contracts to specify that ONLY compression fittings be used.

They are also favored, by many, for exposed work -- inside a building -- that is at hazard for snagging the ordinary Joe with a set screw.

Otherwise, they are not favored... as they take more labor to install. The last time I looked compression connectors were rated at 250% of the labor burden of set screw connectors -- in EMT.

%%%%

Compression RIGID fittings are termed 'Threadless Connectors' out my way.

IIRC, THWN-2 can pass inspection even inside raw Greenfield. My HVAC compressor is wired just this way. The whole neighborhood is, too.

In which case, there's not a whole lot of pressure to move away from the current line of threadless connectors -- for RMC and IMC.

I must admit that I rarely use even threadless connectors. The last time was for a fire pump room.

If given enough notice, I would've just brought a manual threader for the trivial number of joints I had to make up.
( 1/2 or 3/4 RMC is a breaze to thread.)

Tesla
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Yep, I was referring to compression fittings as concrete type. Looks like the ericsson 3-part couplings are going to be the closest thing to water resistant. Most likely the wet location listing is more aimed at protecting the equipment rather than to protecting waterproof conductors from moisture. I have a rigid 700 threader but avoid threading as much as possible. Too messy!

N
Originally Posted by Tesla

IIRC, THWN-2 can pass inspection even inside raw Greenfield. My HVAC compressor is wired just this way. The whole neighborhood is, too.

Thankfully that being allowed has gone away, 348.12(1)

Most of the time they skinned out Romex & used it in the greenfield. frown

B
I've never understood wet location compression fittings. For one, we are using THWN which is rated for wet locations. Two, once the rain tight fittings are installed now there is no way for the condensation to drain out. I don't see a lot of rain getting into conduit installed above grade, but I do see rain tight fittings making sure whatever moisture gets in stays in.

G
Doesn't everyone end up drilling holes at the low spot of any raceway system and that part that us underground is given up as being a cistern.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard