ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 227 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
EB66 Offline OP
I'm installing a couple PDUs for a high-density server deployment. I'm hoping to use a couple of the 208v circuits that the datacenter has available.

I've been told that the circuits are three phase 208v with a L6-30R receptacle.

However, I can't seem to find any 208v three phase PDU with a L6-30P plug. After further research, I'm led to believe that a L6-30P plug will only work with single phase 208v.

Is it possible for this L6-30P plug to support three phase 208v?

L15-30 is the correct number for a 208V 3Ø receptacle.

There is no way an L6-30 receptacle can be configured to work with 3Ø.

The person that gave you the info must be incorrect.

G
Yup that is single phase only but you do see it hanging on 2 legs of a 3P sometimes.

Greg Fretwell
T
"NEMA L6

NEMA L6 connectors are used with circuits with a maximum specified voltage of 250 V. Supply connections are intended for two-pole, three wire hot-hot-ground circuits with a nominal supply voltage of 240 V or 208 V, depending on phase configuration. The L6 connector does not provide a neutral connection.

L6-20 and L6-30 connectors are commonly found on in-rack power distribution units in countries where the mains supply voltage is greater than 120 V. They are also found in the US for heavy-duty 240 V equipment such as welders, where the higher supply voltage allows a lower current draw. These connectors are thus found where industrial equipment or large power tools are commonplace."

Wiki

[They should've added that these loads are all 1-phase loads. BTW, the 230VAC power tool is typically one that has a LONG extension cord.

When I was a kid, professional Skillsaws were commonly wired for 230VAC. This deterred theft. (Adjusted for inflation, those saws cost $900 in todays dollars! At that price they weren't even personal tools. The boss owned them.) They had r e a l l y long extension cords that reached all the way across the lot! They could tolerate mist and drizzle like no other.]

BTW, I can't imagine that your PDU is actually 3-phase. THAT would be unusual.

So what you've got is a 3-phase panel and just two of the hots have been wired up to each L6-30 twist-lock receptacle.

If you're that determined, it's a pretty good bet that the third phase is passing through those receptacle boxes. A typical wiring scheme would have A&B then B&C and then C&A all in a sequence along a given wall.

In which case, you'd replace the receptacle and tap the missing hot.

But, I don't think anyone is making 3-phase PDUs. Picking up the third phase provides absolutely no utility to the system efficiency (not a rotary load) while constraining the market for a given PDU design.

Last edited by Tesla; 02/22/14 06:01 AM.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard