Yesterday at 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
sparky66wv 8
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212288 - 12/28/13 08:48 PM Are you on-call over the festive season?
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Just wondered guys,
I'm on call for a big part of the Canterbury area, after 7pm tonight (our time).
Anything could happen, I just took over from my 2IC and he said it was non-stop madness in the dairy sheds he went out to over the last week.
Most of the calls could have been prevented with decent maintenance, but hey, if they've got the money to spend....

Don't get me wrong, I've been to really big breakdowns in past years, that no-one could have fore-seen.
I gave up on the callouts of the residential owner years ago when I was in business.
"Let's get an electrician here now (on Xmas Day) and then refuse to pay the bill when it comes in!" mad

At least most of the people I now deal with have some sort of empathy and sympathy to you being called out over what is supposed to be a period of REST.

So, I ask the question, are any of you folks waiting for the work phone to ring? smile

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#212289 - 12/28/13 09:03 PM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Being the only sparkie for 200 buildings, I'd say yup

#212290 - 12/29/13 01:21 AM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: sparkyinak]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Good on ya Jerry, good to see someone else flying the flag! grin

#212291 - 12/29/13 02:00 AM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Not much by choice...
?=^P

#212292 - 12/29/13 05:02 AM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I was on call almost every Christmas for 30 years. I probably had about 5 actual calls.

One in particular was at Comsat in Germantown Md. When I asked why they were all working, they said "we don't bring the satellites down for the holidays".

#212296 - 12/29/13 09:08 AM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: gfretwell]
sparky Offline

Vermont swells 2-3 times in population every school vaca , holiday, or good snow storm

Anyone who runs so much as a hot dog stand is on call here

~S~

#212298 - 12/29/13 11:55 AM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
From the AHJ side.....
Basically if & when my cell rings, it may be time to go.

Evenings, nites, weekends, holidays, etc.

The call can be twice in one nite, or quiet for weeks.....

Fires, structure damage from accidents, etc.

#212300 - 12/29/13 12:10 PM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
twh Offline

Loc: Regina, Sask.
I'm always on call but I don't take new residential customers - especially after regular hours. If I'm going to work outside in -35 weather at night, it has to be for someone who cares enough about me to give me work at other times, too.

#212306 - 12/29/13 12:25 PM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
When I was "on call" I was "the" guy ... so 135 other guys could have a quiet Christmas.

Most of the time it was either dead quiet or something I could handle on the phone. Easy money.

#212308 - 12/29/13 12:33 PM Re: Are you on-call over the festive season? [Re: Trumpy]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Greg:

I agree with you, a lot of situations I handle are via cell calls between First Responders and POCO guys and me.

Back in thedays of tools, all were comm, no resi, all were established accounts who paid their bills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals