Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212232 - 12/22/13 07:04 PM Australia-wall boxes not required
newsgraphics Offline

Loc: California
Does anyone have any comments on the lack of code requirement for the use of wall boxes in Australia? I find it amazing that standard practice there is to use open-air mounting brackets attached to the framing to mount switches and outlets (powerpoints). In the event of a faulty connection, there will be nothing to contain arcing and/or fire and stop it from spreading into the wall cavity. I would think most electricians in the U.S. and Canada would consider this practice to be beyond dangerous. Also notice there are no metal plates being used to prevent drywall screws/nails from puncturing wiring! Amazing how two First World countries could differ on this.

Tools for Electricians:
#212237 - 12/23/13 07:39 PM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Personally,
I don't see what all the fuss is about. grin
This is the way that things have been done over here for some time.

We also don't have any more house fires caused by electricity than any other "First World country".
Sure you could use a full "flush-box", but the wiring in the bottom picture (although it should all be bought through the same hole in the dwang) would more than likely pass an electrical inspection.

With respect to nails getting put through cables, if you want to stay in the building trade down here for any length of time, you make damned sure that you keep your nails away from where the electrician has run his cable(s), this is why they invented things such as the ruler and the measuring tape.

#212242 - 12/24/13 01:07 AM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
newsgraphics Offline

Well, I guess you guys don't have to worry about being bothered with pesky things like calculating box-fill grin As to the need for nail plates, clearly you haven't encountered the workmanship of some of the slap-happy tract home "craftsmen" in the U.S.

#212243 - 12/24/13 01:42 AM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Very interesting. Scary but interesting...

#212245 - 12/24/13 02:28 PM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Trumpy:

Are you saying that you do not use any 'boxes' for your outlets??

We use items like the bracket in the pic for data/comm, and AV, and some other 'low voltage' items.

#212246 - 12/24/13 04:43 PM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
newsgraphics Offline

Few more photos I found online... Once again, no nail guards on studs. I wonder how many people in Aus/NZ have gotten a 240v "surprise" trying to hang a picture on the wall crazy

#212255 - 12/25/13 06:48 PM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: HotLine1]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Hi John,
There are situations where you are required to use a "box" type mounting for electrical fittings on walls.
Things like dimmers or where there are extra connections at the fitting.

These sorts of mounting plates are used quite a bit these days because they are relatively cheap and fast to fit.
Personally I wouldn't be seen dead using one of them plates, as I've always been taught that wiring needs to be enclosed at fittings, irregardless of there being plasterboard on the wall or not.

newsgraphics,
Them dwangs you see in the pictures are installed at half wall height (4') to strengthen the studs, now unless you like your art down low on the wall, you'd usually be driving nails into a stud, would you not? grin
Besides, there are so many easier ways to hang pictures and things on walls these days without using nails.

One other thing needs to be said, down this way, we use 230-240V single phase, consequentially our wiring carries half the current of an equivalent 120V circuit and hence the wires are also smaller.
Our terminals at fittings are quite a bit different to the ones used in the US as well.
Instead of putting a wire under a screw, we have "tunnel type" terminals, these are very handy where you need to terminate more than 2 wires at a socket-outlet or light switch, it also means we don't need to "pig-tail" any of our wiring at fittings.
Provided the screws in the fittings are adequately tightened, loose or faulty connections are pretty rare.

#212265 - 12/27/13 05:53 AM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
wire_twister Offline

Loc: Georgia USA
Trumpy,
Any way you could post a picture of one of the devices with the tunnel terminal on it?

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid

#212266 - 12/27/13 08:59 AM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I bet the "tunnel" device is like the back of a good spec grade device or a GFCI here where you stick the wire in a hole and tighten the screw that tightens a plate on the wire.

#212267 - 12/27/13 11:54 AM Re: Australia-wall boxes not required [Re: newsgraphics]
geoff in UK Offline

Loc: UK
Interesting to see the different terminology. Never heard of a "dwang" before. Here it would be a "noggin".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals