ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211264 - 09/30/13 10:02 PM Make sure your computer is backed up
schenimann Offline
Loc: Western North Carolina
I got hit by "ransomware" last week. Encrypted all the MS Office and adobe files on my computer. I also lost about half of my pics. Encrypted file are a total loss. I thought I had a secure backup, however they were encrypted as well. All I have for my company docs is a current quickbooks backup file. I lost all quotes, forms, etc. Just a reminder to make sure your systems are secure and backups are up to date.
Study Guides for VDV / Structured Cabling Installers
#211265 - 10/01/13 04:27 AM Re: Make sure your computer is backed up [Re: schenimann]
shortcircuit Offline
Loc: massachusetts
I use a MS system. What is the best way to back up files? I use an extra drive to backup files but you said that was lost also.
#211266 - 10/01/13 08:46 AM Re: Make sure your computer is backed up [Re: schenimann]
BigB Offline
Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
That's scary. What were you using for a backup drive? I have been using network attached storage via a cisco router, and my estimates and pics I backed up in the cloud. My invoice program runs on another pc that is not connected to the network or to the internet. On my main PC I have a "Windows Only" drive which hopefully can be easily swapped out in case of an attack, and my files and programs are on the D drive (Raid). Also running ESET.
#212716 - 02/07/14 01:16 PM Re: Make sure your computer is backed up [Re: schenimann]
Wmackay Offline
Loc: USA
Windows system restore works great for me
Had a "ransomware" last week recovered just fine

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals