Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#209052 - 03/04/13 06:59 PM Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or
wewire2 Offline

Loc: California
is it just my imagination? Seems like they break just setting them in the back or the truck. Anyway..I wish the
days of those durable tin spools would return.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#209053 - 03/04/13 07:06 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Yup the wire is more expensive and the spool is cheaper. You surely can't drop one. I had one bounce down a step ladder and by the time it got to the floor it rat nested.

#209057 - 03/04/13 07:55 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
wewire2 Offline

Loc: California
Yep, and then you end up cutting off the top layer of wire that got
damaged. We have to handle wire with care but those things are made to
break. I'm gonna write a letter! Haha! There oughta be a law!

#209058 - 03/04/13 08:12 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Stands to reason they are just like anything else. The less they put into a product, the bigger the profit margin. Like cars for example. There are many 60's and 70's models on the road today then late 70's & 80 models. Light fixtures are the same. They seem to get flimsier year by the year

#209059 - 03/04/13 08:24 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
At the risk of making a commercial interruption ...

The ECN store carries Rack-A-teers, who sell a variety of clever gizmos for dealing with fragile wire spools.

#209065 - 03/04/13 11:00 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
The plastic spools of the past were pretty rugged.

On one spool of #12 I bought this year, the plastic broke when I was cutting the outside wrapper off.

Still, any old spool is a vast improvement over the cardboard cartoned TW and THW wire of the 60s and 70s.

#209066 - 03/04/13 11:44 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: electure]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Im not that "seasoned" of a sparkie however, I have come across a couple of the those cardboard boxes of wire and used them... I'll pass on them.

For a half cent, the spool makers can make a lot more durable spool and no one would grip paying that half cent more

#209067 - 03/05/13 06:32 AM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Another trip down memory lane with the cardboard box!!

Those were the days! Heck, I thought the tin spools were the greatest thing, then along came plastic ones. The current ones are like the new soda cans, or the 16+/- oz plastic water bottles.

Less is more$$$ for some.

#209068 - 03/05/13 08:13 AM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
EV607797 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
While we're on this subject, it seems as if the wire insulation is getting flakier as well. I did a job recently where the customer supplied his own THHN that I think he bought from a big box store. It was #12 solid. When we were done, we ended up having two shorts. In both instances, the insulation had taken the slightest little nick and gave out. I sure remember it being a lot more durable, largely due to the thicker nylon outer covering. It seems like that is almost non-existent now.

I don't even want to talk about how flimsy the jacket has become on Romex cable.

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

#209069 - 03/05/13 05:50 PM Re: Are plastic wire spools getting flimsier or [Re: wewire2]
Tesla Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Lowes and Home Depot both dictate prices to suppliers.

Consequently even the biggest NEMA players re-craft their gear towards 'value engineering' so as to not lose that end of the market to their competitors.

Without naming names:

You'll find slightly thinner bussing, panel can metal, and all around bare bones packages in the big box stores.

Some attempt to recoup margins will be made in the nickel and dime items: grounding rails, lugs, AFCIs, GFCIs (C/Bs) and such.

======

I expect further scandals as counterfeit branded NEMA goods pop up.

Heck, it now turns out that you can't even trust the fish you buy to be correctly labeled.

(In Red China the locals so mistrust their own manufactures that they'll pay a hefty premium to get Made in USA.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals