ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207766 11/25/12 02:16 PM
M
I am wondering if anyone has any information on outside induction lighting. My facility is looking into ways to update the outside lighting ( we are currently using 1000 Watt MH) This is both for tax purposes as well as efficiency. The utility rep has said LED is not cost effective and induction lighting was brought up. I don't remember ever seeing it. Any info would be helpful.

Mike:
I have a local EC who has installed a lot of induction lighting around here in NJ. Parking lot & area lighting.

Also, our POCO (PSE&G) installed induction street lighting in a few towns that I know of.

I'll reach out for that EC if you want & PM/eMail you his info if it's OK with him.

John
G
Induction for exterior lighting is superior to LED in several ways. LED is almost totally directional as each diode emits light in a distinct orientation and it's very difficult to build a reflector or refractor that will spread it as we are used to. Also, LED's emit light in a wavelength that is objectionable to dark-sky advocates and the beams from each diode are intense enough to reflect off the ground more than usual. LED's also lose about 20% of their initial lumens after just 20,000 hours, even though they last much longer. The high initial cost and the fact that LED's are mostly non-serviceable "throwaways" make induction very economical by comparison

There are also some doubts emerging about the effects on the human eye by the specific mixed frequencies used in powerful LEDs to generate 'white' light. Blue-end spectrum is causing most concern, with effects claimed similar to mild arc-eye or snow-blindness, particularly by users of some pads and phones.
http://texyt.com/bright+blue+leds+annoyance+health+risks

Wood work but can't!
I noticed a few months back that the Garden State Pky. installed four (4) LED roadway lights on an exit ramp.
The light output seems equal to the other MH fixtures, although there are 'bright spots' on the blacktop under the fixtures. A couple of weeks later, one was & still is 'out'.

IMHO, the induction fixtures the POCO installed provide more even illumination.

John
D
I am working on an expansion of a project I did earlier this year. Replacing 400w MH with 200w Induction. Client is a car dealership and he is extremely happy with the lighting (color, uniformity, intensity). If you need some assistance I can help or point you in the right direction at least.

DavidSinclair:

Welcome to ECN Forums from one of the Jersey Guys!!

Thanks for your input on this. Mikethebull should touch base with you.

John
M
Thanks for the comments I talked to a sales rep thru my electrical dist. a new company called EVERLAST Lighting & he did show me that the lamps ( or bulbs if you prefer ) last 100,000 hours without changing. He is working up a quote although he (the rep) did say that the lights were comparable to 400 W & I have the 1000 W MH over 50' in the air I wonder how bright they will be?

H
Dave,

Glad to have you aboard from another Jersey guy.

As for Induction lighting, I have never seen it yet. I would love to see it and how it works and how efficient it is.

Harold:

Has PSE&G installed any new street lighting in any of your towns?

They replaced 90%+ of the units in my town with induction. 400 watt MH removed, 150 watt induction installed. I see no visable difference in light levels.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard