ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207479 10/31/12 10:39 AM
B
Bravo Offline OP
Hello,

I have a old (1980) portable generator with a 30A, 240V twistlock receptacle (3-prong) with 2 hots and gnd. It also has 120V, 20A receptacle as well on the panel of the generator.

Do I have to run a seperate neutral from panel to the generator and terminate the neutral to the neutral at the generator? Or do I connect the gnd from the generator receptacle to the neutral at the panel?

Thanks in advance

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Are you talking about connecting to the house panel?

Finding the wiring diagram would be helpful. Do you have the instruction manual?

You need to figure out of that 3d prong is the neutral (it probably is), then figure out if it is bonded to the generator frame. That is just a few minutes with your meter.
Use the neutral and the ground on the 120v outlets as references.

If this is the neutral and isolated from the frame you would connect it as a non-SDS supply. The transfer switch will transfer the ungrounded connection and the neutral is a direct connection along with an EGC to the generator frame that you will need to add.

Greg Fretwell
S
If it is for a panel that has utility power, it goes to a transfer switch, not to the panel. If the gen don't have neutral, you can't power 120 loads with 240 side

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Just a note of caution!!

YOU must prevent any 'backfeed' to your utility (POCO) wiring. As you profile describes you as an EE, I will suggest you locate a qualified electrical contractor within your local area to connect your generator.

You also must be mindful of the carbon monoxide exhaust fumes from the gen! Three EMS trips to the local hospital today for people who had gens in open door garages.

Be safe

John

Link Copied to Clipboard