ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#206873 08/21/12 09:20 PM
S
I had to call in an inspection this morning. Just curious what your local protocals are for getting an inspection. I'm not interested in bashing inspectors but seeing who is using the latest technology and who is in the dark ages.

I work in 3 jurisdictions and the inspections are as follows:

The county I live in. We only have county wide inspectors. I can call it in by 4:30 or email/fax it in by 7:30am morning of.

Adjoining county. I have to call and speak directly to the inspector between 7-9 morning of. No technology just have to take the time to do it. This is quite a hassle because it seems that I have peed it their corn flakes everytime I call.

Local city inspectors. I can call and leave message, fax, email. I don't have to speak to anybody, just leave a message at my leisure. I like it.

Just curious how the rest of you operate.

OK, here goes:
Permit number in hand, call the office. (Code enforcement)
8:00 to 4:30 Mon-Friday
Request your inspection type. (Rough/trench/etc)
Clerk will give you next available date. (Within 72 hrs)
Time btwn 8:00 - 2:30 Monday-Friday.
Person may call inspector before 8:00AM for a time window.
Clerk enters all info into computer system

No email, messages or scheduling by inspectors.

Emergency inspections are handled ASAP.

Average of 4500+ permits a year; 32 square miles; 110k pop.

John
E
Almost all of our jurisdictions here are now automated where we either make the request on line or via touch tone entries. I haven't actually had to speak with anyone in years except one time when the inspector called me from a job site where there was a question.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
It is automated here and all the inspectors have laptops with Email. A lot of times you can make the correction, email a picture and get your sign off before close of business that day if it is that sort of thing.

Greg Fretwell
Wow!! I'm in awe. Laptops? Email? (Mobile) On-Line scheduling? Pictures?

Am I working in 'Bedrock'?

John
G
They are really "uptown" here in the swamp. wink

The inspections are scheduled through a "chatty Cathy" using your touch tone phone.

When calling the automated system at 239-533-8997, you will get the following menu:
For general permitting information, press 7
To schedule an inspection, press 1
To cancel an inspection, press 2
To hear results of an inspection, press 3
To check plan review status, press 4
To attach a license to a permit, press 5
To receive a copy of a bldg permit Cert of Occupancy or Compliance by fax, press 6
To make a payment on a permit or to update your license, press the star key *
To speak with a Permit Representative, press 0

You can also look at your permit online to see all activity. They seem to get updated pretty close to real time from the laptop.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
1,2,4,7 & '0' are all handled by the clerical staff.
3 is by clerks or the inspectors, but not 'real time'.
4 is clerks, but it is frowned upon.
5 is only by hard copy at the counter or US Mail.
6 does not happen.
7 is check or money order at the counter, or via mail.

Transactions (fees) are check or money order only. NO cash, credit cards, debit cards, IOUs, etc.

'Bedrock'

John
G
Getting the permit in and approved is the hassle here. Lots of trips to lots of people who don't talk to each other with different procedures. (Zoning, health department, building department and the court clerk) Once you have the permit number you can do everything electronically and it goes as easy as you make it for the inspector.
My experience probably doesn't count but my wife built over 100 houses here and she says the same thing.

Greg Fretwell
Communications between Departments here is IMHO "Good".
Engineering and Zoning are right across the hall, health is downstairs, and paper flows (and emails) fairly good.

Plan review is '20 business days', which we are trying hard to get back on track here.

I must say the quality of the submittals recently is 'sub-par', and I think Scott35 has comments toward that end.

John
H
John,

Hear in north NJ, I follow almost all the same rules as you. The EC calls in the permit number and the TACO sets up the schedule. I have office hours in all towns where the public or EC can meet me and ask questions. The biggest difference with us is that in all my towns, I have set hours of inspections and they are usually with in a 2 hour window. That is just how it worked out with me and my schedule. Most EC's like that because they don't have to wait around all day waiting for me. In one of my towns, I also have early morning inspections. I can be out there from 7:30-8:30 AM and the people love that one. Both homeowners and EC's only have 1 hour to wait for me and then they can still get to work on time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard