Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206769 - 08/09/12 12:54 PM Ever Plan for "Passing Through?"
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
As I progress on my remodel, it occurs to me that I've overlooked something: What about the wires that will pass from within the house to outside the house?

I thought of this as I was laying out the forms for a concrete pad. That pad will hold my air conditioning equipment and, maybe, a generator.

I'll want these things tied into the house alarm system. The alarm system might also get some outside cameras. When I build a deck, I'll probably want to run some speaker wires.

So, it occurred to me .... maybe now is the time to pre-install some chases for these wires to pass.

Have you ever done anything like this? How would you do it? Nipple with a pull can on either side? Other ideas?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#206770 - 08/09/12 03:13 PM Re: Ever Plan for "Passing Through?" [Re: renosteinke]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I know it may not be the first thing electricians think about but maybe you should ask your wife where you can put a box. wink

It is always a compromise between aesthetics and the reality of where you can get the wires to go.

I would go with a bell box on the outside wall, then you have a lot of flexibility. I am also a 3/4" smurf tube fan for things like this, not the "LV" orange stuff.

I put a lot of smurf in my last remodel and after it was all done, I still need another one. My wife put a TV where "there will never be one". I am left with a cable strung 8' across the floor from the nearest LV box.

#206771 - 08/09/12 04:38 PM Re: Ever Plan for "Passing Through?" [Re: renosteinke]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
I put 3/4" PVC in the ground when the bulkhead construction was going on. I go with Greg, on using 3/4"; 'smurf' is not a popular item here, I used NMFC (Flex PVC); nice & no ridges.

Exterior 'extras' were bell boxes, & a few PVC 4x4s.

#206772 - 08/09/12 06:14 PM Re: Ever Plan for "Passing Through?" [Re: renosteinke]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
My house has 2x4 framing. I think Raco makes 4-square boxes of a 'double depth,' that would have a 'front' face even with both sides of the wall. Just put mud rings on both sides, face plates as usual.

You know, that might be just perfect for this task.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals