by sparky
Yesterday at 07:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by Vlado
09/24/16 09:33 AM
Electrical mast flashing product
by ThomasWinfrey
09/22/16 12:14 AM
What estimating software do you recommend?
by sparky
09/21/16 07:20 PM
"Dry Run" Inspection goes awry
by HotLine1
09/20/16 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 13
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
sparky66wv 8
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206627 - 07/24/12 02:16 PM looking for codes references or industry standards
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
hello fellow sparktarians. I am looking for any codes or standards regarding automation systems mainly in an event something that fails along the chain of events, the rest of the system stops to prevent damage equipment or cause an unsafe environment.

For example, boxes continiously goes through 5 stations (A-E). When one station clears, the stations before releases the box to go to next station and so on. For whatever reason, a box jams between stations C and D. The process should stop at stations A, B, and C so the boxes do not pile up at the jam. Station D and E can either stop or continue providing thay can do so safely then stop their process when the station becomes empty.

(I see visions of pies flying off the conveyor and Lucial Ball trying to catch all of them...)

Besides common sense, I presume there is some sort of codes or standards that industry uses that address such problems to prevent damage and or injury. Any known references out there?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#206628 - 07/24/12 04:00 PM Re: looking for codes references or industry standards [Re: sparkyinak]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I doubt there is any industry standard. That sounds like an engineering problem. These days I think they track each box through a machine like that by bar code or RFID tag.

#206632 - 07/24/12 07:50 PM Re: looking for codes references or industry standards [Re: sparkyinak]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
IMHO, a design issue. The 'Injury' segment may be OSHA, or insurance carriers (Factory Mutual, etc)

Sounds like an easy solution for PLC, or back in the 'old days' proximity switches, relays, etc.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals