ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206081 - 05/18/12 09:28 AM Doorbell transformer??
sparkync Offline
Loc: NC
A few years ago I ran some wires to an buzzer in my basement, to ring when someone pushed my front door bell button. It worked with the existing chime for a year or so, then one day I determined it wasn't working anymore. I checked the obvious ( voltage at the buzzer, verified that the buzzer was good, connections etc...). Eliminating a lot of test in between, I found that when I hook the buzzer wire to the front door terminal on my chime, it works, but then I only get one tone instead of 2 tones for the front door. If I remove the buzzer wire, I get 2 tones as usual for the front. I'm thinking that I need to get a bigger transformer. The existing transformer is at least probably 25 or 30 years old. I'm guessing it's just getting weak with 2 loads on it, and not enough to pull them both correctly. What are some of your thoughts on it. I don't know exactly how many volts the transformer is( guessing 16 volts), but I'm thinking about putting a 24 volt on it and hope that works. Thanks for the input. Steve...
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#206082 - 05/18/12 09:33 AM Re: Doorbell transformer?? [Re: sparkync]
allphase Offline
Loc: Chicago il.
door bells get week up the va on transformer should fix it 40 va works good i had to do it at home too
#206086 - 05/18/12 04:29 PM Re: Doorbell transformer?? [Re: sparkync]
twh Offline
Loc: Regina, Sask.
The doorbell is probably getting stiff and a door bell transformer will usually run only one doorbell, so the buzzer is maxing out the transformer. Get a bigger transformer, but I wouldn't suggest a higher voltage.
#206089 - 05/18/12 07:34 PM Re: Doorbell transformer?? [Re: sparkync]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
You could also parallel another 'matching' transformer next to the original. Or, pick up a 40va.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals