Yesterday at 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
sparky66wv 8
Potseal 7
Who's Online
1 registered (andey), 264 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206081 - 05/18/12 09:28 AM Doorbell transformer??
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
A few years ago I ran some wires to an buzzer in my basement, to ring when someone pushed my front door bell button. It worked with the existing chime for a year or so, then one day I determined it wasn't working anymore. I checked the obvious ( voltage at the buzzer, verified that the buzzer was good, connections etc...). Eliminating a lot of test in between, I found that when I hook the buzzer wire to the front door terminal on my chime, it works, but then I only get one tone instead of 2 tones for the front door. If I remove the buzzer wire, I get 2 tones as usual for the front. I'm thinking that I need to get a bigger transformer. The existing transformer is at least probably 25 or 30 years old. I'm guessing it's just getting weak with 2 loads on it, and not enough to pull them both correctly. What are some of your thoughts on it. I don't know exactly how many volts the transformer is( guessing 16 volts), but I'm thinking about putting a 24 volt on it and hope that works. Thanks for the input. Steve...

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#206082 - 05/18/12 09:33 AM Re: Doorbell transformer?? [Re: sparkync]
allphase Offline

Loc: Chicago il.
door bells get week up the va on transformer should fix it 40 va works good i had to do it at home too

#206086 - 05/18/12 04:29 PM Re: Doorbell transformer?? [Re: sparkync]
twh Offline

Loc: Regina, Sask.
The doorbell is probably getting stiff and a door bell transformer will usually run only one doorbell, so the buzzer is maxing out the transformer. Get a bigger transformer, but I wouldn't suggest a higher voltage.

#206089 - 05/18/12 07:34 PM Re: Doorbell transformer?? [Re: sparkync]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
You could also parallel another 'matching' transformer next to the original. Or, pick up a 40va.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals