The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (sparkyinak), 245 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205657 - 03/18/12 08:32 PM Service Cable
MJ2000 Offline

Registered: 06/29/05
Posts: 17
Loc: Toronto, ON
Is the cable ACWU-90 AWG 4/0 (direct burial) good for 200A
service? The length is 150'( from Hydro transformer to meter



2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#205658 - 03/18/12 10:45 PM Re: Service Cable [Re: MJ2000]
jackolsen Offline

Registered: 02/11/08
Posts: 21
Loc: british columbia canada
yes it is .I would size up to 250mcm acwu for the voltage drop,as the 4/0 al in the canadain code book table4 is rated for 185amp for a service conductor.
The electrical panels that I use for a 200 amp service will take a 250mcm conductor,the problem is when you use a 4/0 on a 100 amp panel.

#205664 - 03/19/12 04:12 PM Re: Service Cable [Re: MJ2000]
mikesh Offline

Registered: 06/07/06
Posts: 614
Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
No it isn't. 4/0 is only approved for 185 amps and Jack's statement is not true except for a residential service or feeder and you did not specify it is a residential service.
What is the calculated load? Is it continous or non? Did you also do a VD check?
Now if your continuous load is 185 amps you are good with 4/0 because table 13 allows you to use a 200 amp breaker. Your service is not a 200 but a 185 amp service in this case. Do A VD calc and the 4/0 might not be big enough to meet that rule.
MJ2000 if you can fill in a couple of the missing bits we can offer a better answer. You did not mention 3 or 4 wire which gives differnt answers too.

#205665 - 03/19/12 04:55 PM Re: Service Cable [Re: MJ2000]
MJ2000 Offline

Registered: 06/29/05
Posts: 17
Loc: Toronto, ON
It is residential service 3 wire. How to calculate VD when I don't know what is the load? Do we calculate VD with calculated load or with 200A? What is allowed VD from transformer to meter base? Existing service is 100A and customer wants upgrade to 200A.

#205666 - 03/19/12 08:47 PM Re: Service Cable [Re: MJ2000]
twh Offline

Registered: 03/11/04
Posts: 898
Loc: Regina, Sask.
See Appendix B Section 4 and use the tables in Appendix D. It's a good question about the load for voltage drop. Perhaps use the intended service size and calculate as a non-continuous load. Or, just use 250 MCM ACWU. If more than 3 meters is above ground, you need to use the above-ground ampacity, anyway (I think). The above ground calculations are here: Use 200A, 240V, 1P, Aluminum, 90 degree insulation, non-continuous load.

#205670 - 03/20/12 05:07 PM Re: Service Cable [Re: MJ2000]
mikesh Offline

Registered: 06/07/06
Posts: 614
Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Acording to the table D-13B from diagram B4-3 detail 1 for %80 rated equipment you are good for 210 amps. I should have looked at these diagrams but I believed they only applied for 2 or more raceways or cables. So for ampacity the 4/0 is good.
What do you used for VD calcs? Great question but I can think of 2 answers. Do your standard house calculation and use the amps you get as the minimum ampacity for the service without spare capacity Use that number to get your wire size. So lets say you get 135 amps for the load. You can do the VD for 135 amps but the cable you get can only be fused at 150 amps from table 13.
To get the full service capacity you need to use 200 amps for the VD and the wire size is the answer. Use the appendix B solution as THW has astutely pointed out and you will even get some bonus ampacity for just 1 cable over table 4. My VD calculator gives 4/0 for a 3% drop or 300 kcm for a %2 drop. Total VD is at %5 from meter to load. Recomended drop is %2 for feeder and %3 for branch.
I was surprised you need 300 and not 250 for just the %1 improvement.
I think I would accept the 4/0 but check with your inspector just in case he is stricter. Now if We were talking continuous loads I too would have required the 300 KCM but a house is generally never loaded to the service nameplate


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals