ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
This months issue of the NFPA journal has an article about the continuing legal battle concerning the copyrights of Code writing groups. If the courts decide that Codes are in the public domain and can be passed freely to any and all it could spell the end of our beloved NEC and many others. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this and any ideas on where we might go without a standard code.

I believe, as the article has stated, that we may slide back to the situation that created the need for a standardized NEC. There will no longer be a national code only local codes with conflicting standards.

See this for some information: http://www.techtv.com/cybercrime/digitaldisputes/story/0,23008,3344180,00.html

[This message has been edited by cubby964 (edited 01-15-2003).]

Cubby,

An interesting question. If the municipality did not pay for the developement of the code I don't see how they can own the rights to it. Is there any updated info on this particular case? (Article is dated Oct. 2001)

Bill

Bill
R
Ron Offline
The cover story of the current NFPA Journal. http://www.nfpa.org/NFPAJournal/index.asp
Unfortunately you need to be a NFPA member to read it.

Ron
Now that's interesting; seems to me that I read something like this in our local paper. NJ adopted the NEC with a few amendments as part of the NJUCC NJ 5:23 et al) NJ Uniform Construction Code, which keeps the "rules" basically the same ststewide. I wonder if NJ has to pay NFPA to "use" the NEC, or did they have to "buy the book"?

When I reference the NEC in reports that I write, I put the "C" and/or "R" in circle, I wonder if that's right.

John

John
Looks like we're all guilty!!
Read the licensing provisions (2)on the inside back cover of the NEC©
It doesn't really sound all that different, does it?
(National Electrical Code © National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA)...Just in case they're watching...S

S
"The main thing is I think it's a people fight," he said. "It's people versus the government. I ultimately feel that I'll lose because, if you give people control over their law, it means the people have control over the government, and there haven't been many decisions coming down that way recently."

very interesting Mr. Veek......manipulated to such a fundamental extent

Link Copied to Clipboard