ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205333 - 02/11/12 09:36 PM GFI Breaker on garburator
wacked Offline
In the near future I am installing a garburator in a commercial establishment. The motor is a 3 phase 208 volt unit and I am wondering if I need to install this with a GFI breaker? (three pole). I can't find anything about this in the CEC book on this....I have seen these units in other establishments with GFI breakers. The problem.... the panel I am needing to feed this unit from is a Westinghouse featuring "BAB type" bolt on breakers. I have come to the understanding from a local wholesaler that there is no GFI 3 pole bolt on that will work on this panel (I could probably install a sub panel to possibly another brand????) The easiest/cheapest would be to have a non GFI situation. I am hoping I can find it in the code book.....Can anybody help me with this?
Tools for Electricians:
#205360 - 02/13/12 04:02 PM Re: GFI Breaker on garburator [Re: wacked]
mikesh Offline
Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
You can't find it in the code book because there is no reference to this. No rule = no requirment.
No GFCI is required and since most of these are installed into conductive piping I think the possibility of stray current is very low.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 49
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 18
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals