by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm≤ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204840 - 01/15/12 02:18 PM Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection
WingNut7 Offline

Loc: BC

I haven't run across this style of connecting (?) to a screw terminal before, so I wonder if it was an approved method (ever, anywhere, but I found this in British Columbia Canada, installed ca. 1997).

This is an "Eagle" receptacle, made in Canada, and has CSA (but not UL) markings. It has rear push-in terminals.

This technique seems to provide a fair bite on the wire, but the contact area looks to be pretty small.

There doesn't seem to be any other obvious reason for the hole, but perhaps it was intended to assist in wrapping the wire around the screw? (it works quite well for that)

Any wisdom appreciated...

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#204845 - 01/15/12 06:12 PM Re: Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection [Re: WingNut7]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Welcome to ECN forums, from one of the 'Jersey Guys'.!!

Starting the conductor in the 'hole' to wrap around the screw sure sounds like a plan.

#204849 - 01/15/12 09:48 PM Re: Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection [Re: WingNut7]
Scott35 Offline

Broom Pusher and

Loc: Anaheim, CA. USA
I agree with John (HotLine1).

Place end of Conductor in hole, then wrap bare Conductor Counter Clock-Wise around Screw.
Tighten Screw to 20 in.lbs, using a Calibrated Torque Wrist... smirk
Repeat technique for remaining Conductor Terminations...
Mount Device to Outlet Box...
Proceed to next Outlet.

Having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome / Cubital Tunnel Syndrome feels like a semi-calibrated Torque Wrist!
i.e.: Wrist "Pops" at >20 in/lbs! eek

-- Scott
Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

#204850 - 01/15/12 10:51 PM Re: Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection [Re: WingNut7]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I agree with you guys. Still not a bad idea but I bet #12 solid is not that easy to just "bend around". Maybe this is aimed at stranded? Looking at how tight the Bakelite is to the screw, I bet this is great with stranded wire.
Greg Fretwell

#204862 - 01/16/12 03:25 PM Re: Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection [Re: gfretwell]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
I agree with the consensus about poking the wire in the hole and wrapping it clockwise around the screw terminal.
I found a couple of Cooper/Eagle 15A resi grade receptacles on the shelf that are probably like 7-years old and they only have that hole on the grounding terminal. Same thing with the Cooper 20A single receptacles I have here. I also noticed that the 15A P&S toggle switches seem to have it on the grounding terminal as well, but I really canít say that I recall ever using it on any of them before though.

#204867 - 01/17/12 10:20 AM Re: Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection [Re: WingNut7]
EV607797 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
The "poke and wrap" method is exactly how they were designed; I did them that way for many years. Eagle's (Cooper's) new design has hooks embedded in the blue plastic rear housing beside each screw that now serve this purpose.

The way the one in the picture was done was entirely wrong.

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

#204888 - 01/18/12 06:43 PM Re: Eagle Receptacle... unusual wire connection [Re: EV607797]
sparky Offline

if memory serves (always a trick these dayz) the hole was a manufactured to accomodate stranded wrap around ......

you know, to dispense with that 'lil 1/8" of insulation toward the end we're all familiar with.....

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals