Yesterday at 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
Yesterday at 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm≤ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
sparky66wv 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 282 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204113 - 11/13/11 08:03 AM Where to find generator parts?
nrp3 Offline

Loc: New England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a new customer with a Briggs and Stratton 12kw generator that doesn't transfer to gen power. I am guessing its the control board within the transfer switch. You can transfer manually and it will carry the load. The gen transfer coil ohms out the same as the utility coil and it will transfer back to utility on its own like its supposed to. There doesn't seem to be any 120v output to the coil, although if you transfer it manually, eventually it seems to pull in. Its a Cutler Hammer transfer switch. CHGEN100ATSR and I can't find any documentation on their site.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1010067.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1010064.jpg

I can get generac stuff, but haven't figured out where to get Briggs and Stratton stuff. I ordered up one of their repair manuals for this generator but don't know if it includes anything on the transfer switch. Once I know for sure what the problem is, where am I going to get the parts BS or CH?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#204114 - 11/13/11 08:09 AM Re: Where to find generator parts? [Re: nrp3]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
IMHO, the transfer switch info is from the trans switch mfg, not Briggs.

Try C&H tech services for schematic & parts sources.

My guess, from your details is a problem within the control board.

#204115 - 11/13/11 08:31 AM Re: Where to find generator parts? [Re: nrp3]
nrp3 Offline

I found the manual finally on the Eaton website. I did notice that the generator no load voltage was somewhat low, about 220v with about 60hz and the Briggs owners manual calls for around 62-62.5hz and 239-250v. There is no fault showing on the gen itself, however the cutler hammer ATS book shows that it needs about 90% nominal voltage to switch to standby. I wonder if its out of tolerance. If you transfer manually, if I remember under load the voltage comes up into the 230v range and the coil gets energized. Maybe undervoltage?

#204117 - 11/13/11 09:57 AM Re: Where to find generator parts? [Re: nrp3]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
I would check with B&S support. Maybe they will provide some tech info. If itís a warranty repair issue, they could probably refer you to a dealer in your area. They do seem to have some basic support FAQís and other general info on their website, but donít know how much help that will be.
For replacement parts, on some sites, if you see a replacement part description with BNS Power in front of it, that stands for Briggs & Stratton Power. These guys in the link below sell OEM parts for the B&S transfer Switches. This is a parts breakout for the B&S branded 071046 200A ATS. Looks like the circuit board alone is $422.38, which is about half the price of a complete new transfer switch assembly.

B&S 200A ATS Parts Breakout

#204118 - 11/13/11 12:13 PM Re: Where to find generator parts? [Re: nrp3]
nrp3 Offline

This thing looks like what I am guessing two wire connection or start, so I guess I have more options than what I would with generac. Wish I had more experience with fixing them, the installs aren't that tough. Gotta start somewhere though.

#205443 - 02/21/12 02:43 PM Re: Where to find generator parts? [Re: nrp3]
tomsnow Offline

Loc: NY - New York
I've found AGT Services helpful in the past when looking for generator parts: http://agtservices.com/supply-parts.cfm They have a wide selection and provide helpful customer service.

#205484 - 02/24/12 08:01 PM Re: Where to find generator parts? [Re: nrp3]
mikethebull Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I have had a lot of electricians tell me that they have a hard time getting parts. Also , there is a long wait like over 90 days.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals