ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20021 01/07/03 06:55 PM
S
snake Offline OP
Well i've been lurking here for months and i've decided to air a pet peeve. Lately on all the commercial ti's the framer and drywaller are one and the same. As soon as enough wall goes up to hang a sheet of drywall they do. I have walked into these jobs having to cut all my own boxes and switches in from the backside. Is this common practice across the US? Takes a lot more time than if i could work both sides of the wall.

#20022 01/07/03 07:33 PM
S
Nothing a hammer won't fix...

Just go in and smash holes where all the receptacle boxes go and watch the look on their faces when you do this.

They WILL get the point.

#20023 01/07/03 07:44 PM
S
I dunno Sandro....

One man....up against a whole crew of mean @#%*s with power drills and Roto-Zips....

Not exactly my kinda fun....but then again...I'm a small guy. *shrug*.

#20024 01/07/03 09:01 PM
It's been "common" practice here on comm jobs that one side of the wall gets rocked.
99% is sheetmetal studs. Yes, we have to cut the holes, on 1 side. Yes, it takes a little time.

Rocking one side holds the studs together, and gives us a fighting chance to pull mc thru without having to worry about pulling the studs down.

All in all, I don't think it's that big a deal.

BTW: Sandro,
If my guys did what you said, the job would be over for them, and for me. We have a good relationship with the other contractors on our jobs, as most of our work goes thru three construction management companies. The CM's run a tight ship, and won't stand for any "bickering", and if you damage "others" work, you will be back charged. You sound like your'e at the breaking point....a little hostility??

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 01-07-2003).]

John
#20025 01/07/03 09:32 PM
E
If I bid the job as new work that is exactly how I would expect to wire it. This does not include cutting in boxes. Change order issued and agreed upon otherwise it gets ugly. There is a certain order for construction that has to be followed if a GC can't understand this they have no business in this business.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 01-07-2003).]

#20026 01/07/03 11:30 PM
Metal studs would have an excuse, but it has been a problem for me even with wood framing.

One GC frames and hangs the drywall, he subs out the drywall finishing. The only other things he subs is electric and he hires a plumber for the drains, but does the lines himself.

He expects me to start the rough as soon as there is felt on the roof, and wants it ready for insulation and drywall by the time the roofers are done. He'll play "hurry up" by placing stacks of insulation and drywall in my way, seemingly unaware that this only slows me down. "The illusion of pressure" I'm told it's called.

The next house I'm wiring for this GC has prefabbed walls, with one side already rocked, and had it not been for this thread, I may not have realized to allow more time for those boxes installed and would have underbid again.

Thanks for bringing this up!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#20027 01/08/03 02:29 AM
L
"start the rough as soon as there is felt on the roof"

66WV You just gotta love all that banging from the coil nailers overhead, not to mention they always leave the gables open till last-especially now while it's cold as sh!t, makes life GRAND don't it.

BTW Those morning north winds are cold here in TX too. Also leave lots of shoe prints on the S/R stacks during those "illusion of pressure" days, just don't step near the edges so you don't have to pay for it.

Larry

#20028 01/08/03 02:39 AM
L
I keep foam ear plugs in the truck for those roofing days. Smith & Wesson makes them with a little plastic case you can throw in the console, keeps 'em from gettin crushed.

#20029 01/08/03 09:01 AM
In tin stud framing & M/C,(snap in connectors) I don't have a real big problem with one sided walls. It takes a little more planning (KO's knocked out before box goes up), but the holes in the drywall sure fit better around the box than when a router crazed illegal immigrant drywaller cuts them.
In a wood wall, I can see some real problems, though.

Link Copied to Clipboard