Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19963 - 01/06/03 02:37 PM *** New ECN Forum ***
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
There's a newer version of this BB Software that I am told will give us a bit more flexibility with some things and may add some features that we do not have right now.

One main benefit would be in the Technical Reference area. Under the present software we cannot make all threads visble there all the time (without hacking the code) and if we "Archived" threads they could never be changed or re-activated. The new BB would let us post Reference material that could always be visible and would not expire or get pruned (deleted) when it is too old.

It will look a bit different, I'm not sure how much, or what else will change, but it should be better. We've had a newer 'upgrade' version on the shelf for a year or so already but have been hesitant to make the change just to have something newer. But recent revisions have added some features, such as described above, that I think we can really make use of.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-06-2003).]

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#19964 - 01/06/03 03:56 PM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
Roger Offline

Loc: N.C.
Bill, I have been a little frustrated in the past trying to find things in the Tech area, so if this could be made easier I'm for it.

But then again change is scarry.

Roger

#19965 - 01/06/03 05:00 PM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
sparky Offline

Nice to see some growth, thanks Bill

#19966 - 01/06/03 07:13 PM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
harold endean Offline

Loc: Boonton, NJ
Bill,

I love this board and if the new software helps, then I am all for it. The worst thing that I can say/see is if you make the board to complex. By that I mean I was on another BB with Joe, and they changed their layout. It was so complex, that no one used it anymore. It is like a ghost ship over there. I think Joe, and Don know which BB I am talking about.

Harold

#19967 - 01/06/03 08:13 PM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
Bill Addiss Offline

To any Interested Parties:

If you go to the following address you can try out the latest (uncustomized version). You may or may not have to Register to try it out. I'd like to hear comments ....
http://www.ubbcentral.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?category=1

#19968 - 01/06/03 10:10 PM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
Bill Addiss Offline

Hmm,....

I'm not particularly fond of the look or all of the new features, but am unsure what things can be changed or options can be turned off. I've gotten used to the look that we have now. Maybe we'll have to set it up somewhere else to try it out before jumping into it. I think we can do that.

Bill

#19969 - 01/07/03 05:49 AM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
This could turn into a "who moved my cheese" thing.

As long as you can change it back if we hate it, I'll say let's give it a try.

Tom

#19970 - 01/07/03 05:57 AM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
The point regarding the Tech Ref. area is a good one.

I'm not sure about the look of the new version either, but I suppose it's just because I've gotten used to ECN's current format. (But then I grew up with CBBS and FidoNet, so any of the new formats seem a little awkward to me at first )

I'll add my vote to try it, so long as we can transfer everything back to the current version if need be (i.e. data files will be recognized by the current version).

#19971 - 01/07/03 08:49 AM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
CTwireman Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Hmmmm....the new format looks familiar. Is this the one that Mylocal3.com is using? The overuse of smilies and graphics there drove me nuts. I like the current format here now, but change is inevitable sometimes.

#19972 - 01/07/03 09:07 AM Re: *** New ECN Forum ***
Bill Addiss Offline

I don't know if it could be changed back or not. I'll do some more investigation on that for sure. In the meantime we've set the default to "show all topics" which may suffice for right now. I don't know if this change affects anything, such as page loading times or not.

When you enter a Category if you look down at the Bottom you will see links to pages containing all the available threads @ 40 per page. If anyone really wishes to only see the last 30 days or 100 days etc. they can set that in their preferences. If you look in the Tech Reference area now you should see all topics listed now. Do you think this would be an adequate solution?

Bill

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals