The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
Is this a fix or just a bandaid?
by gfretwell
10/10/16 06:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
sparky 4
Who's Online
1 registered (annemarie1), 302 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19817 - 01/03/03 10:58 AM Question... Is this caused by power surges?
XDude Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 01/03/03
Posts: 1
Ok, I am NOT an electrician, but I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out with, I hope.

My mom recently had a washer stop working, then a couple days later her dryer ALSO stopped working, we bought new ones since we needed new ones anyway and didn't think much of it. BUT when we got home after buying new ones our freezer had ALSO stopped working, all these are plugged in the garage. We have been having the power go on and off lately, is it possible that a power surge caused ALL 3 of these to go at once? We've had hundreds of power failures before without any problems throughout the years, my mom won't listen to me when I say it's probably not a power surge, what do you guys think? Thanks

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#19818 - 01/03/03 11:22 AM Re: Question... Is this caused by power surges?
HotLine1 Offline


Registered: 04/03/02
Posts: 6791
Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Before you plug any new appliances in....PLEASE contact a qualified (licensed) electrician in your area.

You may have a problem with your electric power in your home; it may be related to your power company; it may only be in your home.

IF you have a "loose" neutral, you may have fluctuating voltage conditions. You may have an "open" neutral; or a myrid of other problems.

It is to involved to explain here.

Think about this:
Professional electrician....$ 100 charge
Replace appliances again....$ 1200.00++

The above figures are inserted for example; the rates for a sparky in your area may be higher or lower; the prices for your appliances you already know.

The above is my humble opinion.


#19819 - 01/03/03 11:52 AM Re: Question... Is this caused by power surges?
ayrton Offline

Registered: 12/21/01
Posts: 205
Loc: Pa
Definatly call a qualified electrician. Something sounds arai! Appliances cost to much
and remember assuming only makes an ass out of u & me!

#19820 - 01/03/03 03:59 PM Re: Question... Is this caused by power surges?
fedup Offline

Registered: 10/26/01
Posts: 32
Loc: alabama
also if it is a problem with the wiring inside or outside mom's insurance might pay for the appliances

#19821 - 01/04/03 04:08 PM Re: Question... Is this caused by power surges?
harold endean Offline

Registered: 02/16/02
Posts: 2248
Loc: Boonton, NJ
Just my 2 cents, You mightbe able to contact the power company to check their lines. If the loose neutral is on their side they might come out fix it for no charge. In some areas though the power company have been charging people for certain things. So before you ask them to come out, see if they will charge you or not.

#19822 - 01/04/03 11:40 PM Re: Question... Is this caused by power surges?
NonLinearLoad Offline

Registered: 03/23/02
Posts: 56
Loc: McHenry, IL. USA

Majority rules!

Definitely get a sparky out before you happen to smoke anymore appliances.

If the utilities are having power go on & off in the frequent past it could be harmless outages or a very serious and costly situation!

Power in your house will quit working for numerous reasons. But, from what you are describing, save the bad appliances until you get it checked out by an electrician. Depending on what is determined by them, and then most likely the utility, the utility may end up paying for the damages!

Had this exact scenario happen last week, Furnace, stove electronic controls & blower motor of exhaust vent, HD TV, DVD, VCR---BYE-BYE!!!!!

Actually what gave the homeowner a clue something was amiss, the sparks shooting out of devices. We checked, inconsistent readings to make a complete determination. Called utility, they checked, seemed o.k..

We installed a new service due to age and problem, plus need for more future space. Two days later same scenario, and only the furnace was repaired to get COOKED AGAIN!!!

Fire Dept, again, US, and utility at 2A.M. thinking it has to be the underground wires. A little more in depth testing forced the problem to show itself with our help, and some colder temperatures as on the last occurence date. The Neutral underground wire was damaged in some fashion as to cease a connection to the inside of the house.

And, graciously enough the utility is covering all damages and labor to rectify the situation, and the 2nd $500 to get the heat going again.


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals