ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197459 - 11/30/10 08:41 PM M$ Window$
twh Offline
Loc: Regina, Sask.
I've been a linux user for many years, but now I have a laptop and need to leave Windows 7 installed. It keeps asking for money and warning that bad things can happen if I don't pay.

Which programs do I need? Firewall? Anti-virus? Network Magic? Are there alternatives to the 30 day trial programs that come with the machine?

I didn't realize owning a computer could be so expensive.
Tools for Electricians:
#197462 - 11/30/10 10:55 PM Re: M$ Window$ [Re: twh]
noderaser Offline
Loc: Portland, Oregon, United State...
There are a couple of free Anti-Virus programs that are reputable, the one that comes to mind being AVG. However, it seems that a lot of software that was once free/open-source is moving toward the "software as a service" model where you pay a subscription and have to download every new version, rather than for a boxed copy that just updates its definitions.

Others may have their opinions, but the built-in Windows firewall is probably sufficient, especially if your ISP provides a firewall at your Cable/DSL/Whatever modem/router. Don't know if ZoneAlarm still has a free version or not.

OpenOffice is also an excellent alternative to MS Office, if you don't have or want to fork down the cash for a copy.

The bloatware that comes with many new computers can be rather headache-inducing. That's why I stay away from large companies like Dell, who are the worst. When I get a new computer, I make sure that I have an actual install disc for the operating system of choice, and start fresh. The "recovery" discs are coaster ware.
#197463 - 11/30/10 11:48 PM Re: M$ Window$ [Re: noderaser]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
You can usually buy things like office on Ebay still in the shrink wrap. They may be the previous version but MS has add on to get you going. I am running XP pro with Office 2000 and the add on to handle the docx files. I think the Office was $10. You can usually find the OS install disks for that kind of money too. It will work as long as you have the matching COA sticker with the secret number.
#197627 - 12/10/10 03:44 PM Re: M$ Window$ [Re: twh]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Originally Posted By twh

Which programs do I need? Firewall? Anti-virus? Network Magic? Are there alternatives to the 30 day trial programs that come with the machine?

It needn't be expensive at all.

As far as a firewall goes, I use Zone Alarm.
It's free if you only want a fire-wall and it takes a wee bit of "teaching" to get it to allow or deny access to different applications.

With respect to Anti-Virus software, I've been using Avira Anti-Virus for some years now and although it does have a nag screen that comes up when it updates itself, you can just click it away. wink

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals