09/29/16 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 12
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 298 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195726 - 08/19/10 12:10 PM Extention Cords
SJT Offline

Loc: PATCHOGUE, N.Y.
On a constuction site there was an extension cord. (not off the shelf) It was made with Hard Usage rubber cord, male plug on one end, and a 1900 with a Quad receptacle on the other. The AHJ is turning it down. He says the box is not used for it's intended use. Is this permitted on a constuction site? Or, must you use an off the shelf type cord? Thanks for the input. Good Day

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#195727 - 08/19/10 01:15 PM Re: Extention Cords [Re: SJT]
Gregtaylor Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho, USA
It's the 1900 thats the issue. A 1900 box is listed to be mounted or supported by a structural member. If you used an FS box with a CGB or kelems it should be OK but the cost would be ridiculous. Buy a cord.

#195728 - 08/19/10 01:46 PM Re: Extention Cords [Re: Gregtaylor]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I bet you had a Romex connector on the 1900 box too wink

You can also use a listed cord receptacle but there inspectors who don't like home built or repaired cords, no matter what you do.

#195731 - 08/19/10 02:12 PM Re: Extention Cords [Re: gfretwell]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Isn't that the truth, Greg!

The "no DIY cords" crowd got a boost from OSHA, and have applied the 'pendant cord' requirements to such efforts. That is, the box needs to have the connector attached using a hub (lock nuts alone aren't enough) and a proper strain relief connector. Such a requirement is found in the NEC under 'pendants.'

"Proper" in this case meaning one of the types with rubber grommets; Romex connectors are listed for use with flexible cord (look at the box), but not for this application. "Pendant" connectors have a much more rigorous strain relief test.

The next issue, of course, is the OSHA desire to have all cords, on all construction sites, be GFCI protected.

I had assembled a rather nice such center, and had presented it to a certain very prominent 'code authority,' a man who has made a career out of taking pictures of falling-apart 1600-box assemblies. He conceeded that the effort looked worthy ..... until, years later, he sent me a link and asserted that now ALL DIY assemblies were banned.

Alas, the 'link' was to the entire Code of Federal Regulations, and I have yet to find whatever it was he was citing.

I fail to see where the AHJ comes into this discussion. Building permits, after all, are on the building - not the builder. I don't believe that a contractor's tools are under the jurisdiction of the building inspector. If he doesn't like it, he has the same right as anyone to call OSHA- no more.

#195735 - 08/19/10 04:14 PM Re: Extention Cords [Re: renosteinke]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
GFI protection, no lighting on the same circuit, that's about it for me. A lot of jobs have a note within the spec that the EC is responsible for temp power, receptacles w/GFI at defined distances, lighting , etc. I do check GFIs.

As to 'patched' when I see them, I say something. As to homemade...I don't feel that it's my axe to grind. Unsafe items get my attention also, usually with a verbal to the offender. Usually I hear...'that's not my cord'. Most ECs keep an eye open, especially when they have scheduled inspections.

On the OSHA side, I know of one jobsite that raised a few $$$ for cords.

#195743 - 08/20/10 06:25 AM Re: Extention Cords [Re: HotLine1]
harold endean Offline

Loc: Boonton, NJ
I have seen where the EC's use that type of box for temp wiring, but what they do is mount everything on a piece of wood. Then they move the wood around and they secure the wood post to the I-beams where needed.

#195771 - 08/20/10 09:19 PM Re: Extention Cords [Re: harold endean]
SJT Offline

Loc: PATCHOGUE, N.Y.
Thanks. I think they need to set up a small power station designed for work sites.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals