ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195712 - 08/19/10 07:59 AM GFCI's in "Kitchen" Areas
Engineer Offline
Loc: Maryland
The engineering company where I work has asked for input to improve safety within the facility. I submitted an issue informing them that our kitchen does not have GFCI’s on the outlets. They informed me that since this room does not have a sink it is not classified as a “kitchen” per the NEC. Yet, above the outlets is a plumbed coffee machine and a plumbed bottleless water dispenser which are next to a toaster and microwave. A refrigerator is also located in the small room.

Are there any requirements in the NEC to require GFCI’s in such areas (ie- with plumbed water)? Isn’t the definition of a kitchen in the NEC to exclude snack rooms with vending machines but not areas with plumbed water?

Any comments are welcome.
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#195713 - 08/19/10 08:27 AM Re: GFCI's in "Kitchen" Areas [Re: Engineer]
Jim M Offline
Loc: Chestertown, MD, USA
If the company has been tasked to improve safety you could suggest that the GFIs be installed based on the breakroom having similar activities happening on the counter. I thought there had been some discusion about a similar topic before. Maybe I am just remembering the change that requires the GFIs in kitchens in other than dwelling units.
#195716 - 08/19/10 08:59 AM Re: GFCI's in "Kitchen" Areas [Re: Jim M]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Engineer:

Welcome to ECN Forums!

Keep in mind that the NEC is not a design tool.

From a safety related study, the design professional has the ability to exceed the requirements within the NEC regarding GFI protection. I guess, if one wanted to, one could install AFCI protection on 15/20 amp, 120 volt receptacles within office areas.

My point, if safety is the concern, by all means install the GFI receptacles; you may want 'spec' grade devices also.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
KrmtFrg, Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals