by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm² flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 298 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195712 - 08/19/10 07:59 AM GFCI's in "Kitchen" Areas
Engineer Offline

Loc: Maryland
The engineering company where I work has asked for input to improve safety within the facility. I submitted an issue informing them that our kitchen does not have GFCI’s on the outlets. They informed me that since this room does not have a sink it is not classified as a “kitchen” per the NEC. Yet, above the outlets is a plumbed coffee machine and a plumbed bottleless water dispenser which are next to a toaster and microwave. A refrigerator is also located in the small room.

Are there any requirements in the NEC to require GFCI’s in such areas (ie- with plumbed water)? Isn’t the definition of a kitchen in the NEC to exclude snack rooms with vending machines but not areas with plumbed water?

Any comments are welcome.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#195713 - 08/19/10 08:27 AM Re: GFCI's in "Kitchen" Areas [Re: Engineer]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Chestertown, MD, USA
If the company has been tasked to improve safety you could suggest that the GFIs be installed based on the breakroom having similar activities happening on the counter. I thought there had been some discusion about a similar topic before. Maybe I am just remembering the change that requires the GFIs in kitchens in other than dwelling units.

#195716 - 08/19/10 08:59 AM Re: GFCI's in "Kitchen" Areas [Re: Jim M]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA

Welcome to ECN Forums!

Keep in mind that the NEC is not a design tool.

From a safety related study, the design professional has the ability to exceed the requirements within the NEC regarding GFI protection. I guess, if one wanted to, one could install AFCI protection on 15/20 amp, 120 volt receptacles within office areas.

My point, if safety is the concern, by all means install the GFI receptacles; you may want 'spec' grade devices also.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals