ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 138 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194990 07/04/10 03:24 PM
Safe and Happy Holiday to all!!

cheers
Bill

Cat Servant
Happy 4th of July .... yet, do we remember just what that means? Has anyone sought to explain to our foreigh viewers just WHY the 4th should matter to them, WHY it's not just another form of "Cinco de Mayo?"

On July 4th, 1776, men representing thirteen completely separate colonies signed a declaration that they would no longer honor the rule of the British King.

This is remarkable for many reasons, not the least of which is that the various colonise were as separate then as Australia and Canada are today. Each had it's own charter, appointed Royal Governor, history, and laws. Indeed, nearly every person who signed the declaration would have been imprisoned in the other colonies simply for being of the wrong faith; Pennsylvania was only one (of two) colonies that guaranteed religious freedom.

Moreoever, the colonies united, and followed the Declaration years later with a Constitution. Rather than assuming roles as thirteen separate countries - much as Grenada and the Bahamas are distinct today - they formed a Federal Government to represent them together to the world.

They did not simply replace the British King with one of their own. Instead, they took the truly revolutionary step of writing laws -the Constitution(s)- that placed limits on the government. Even today, rare is the country where the laws do not exist to limit the governed. That's something to think about as you consider the role of building codes.

We have largely remained true to these principles. Where other countries built empires, we liberated the oppressed and returned their countries to rule by their own people.

Those are the things that made our independance truly revolutionary. Power to the people, decades before Marx!

L
Well put John.

thank you. GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Have a good one, folks.
And be careful with the fireworks.

G
We lit the place up with 100mm mortars last night and no injuries.
I smoked some ribs and we had the obligatory watermelon, baked beans and potato salad.

To our UK members, no hard feelings, have a warm beer for me wink

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard