ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193923 - 04/28/10 12:04 PM What I do better than any electrician
Haligan Offline
Loc: Berkeley, CA USA
I lose more device screws than anyone on the planet. I excel at this in both speed and quantity. I drop them down heating registers, into my clothes, into piles of sawdust, crawlspaces. I haven't swallowed one yet, but it's a matter of time. Sometimes I just put them down and 1 second later they're gone.

I'm adding a new Murphy's law for this. The more unique the fastener, the more likely it will get lost.
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#193926 - 04/28/10 04:24 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: Haligan]
wire_twister Offline
Loc: Georgia USA
I agree, in fact I keep every one out of every old device I take out. I just know I will need it someday, the "odd screw and bolt" compatrment in my truck has saved the day more than once.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
#193929 - 04/28/10 07:08 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: wire_twister]
twh Offline
Loc: Regina, Sask.
I lose tools. Attics and crawl spaces are littered with things that fall out of my tool pouches. The only tools I don't lose are the old, dull, stiff spares.
#193930 - 04/28/10 07:09 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: wire_twister]
Obsaleet Offline
Loc: Pa
I solved this, by putting them in my pouch. Always have one this way. And for some reason they don t go missing. They only try to escape when you need em and don t have one LOL
#193932 - 04/28/10 09:42 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: Obsaleet]
schenimann Offline
Loc: Western North Carolina
The pieces that I collect whenever I find them are the cap screws off wall fixtures. They are apparently a different thread, not a 6 or 8. I was installing a light on the front of a boat house. I dropped the cap in the lake. I have replacements now. Never again.

I had tools stolen a few months back. So when I looked in my truck the other day and realized my fluke meter, amp meter and wiggy were missing, I was disgusted thinking I had been hit again. Two days later I found my wiggy in the front seat under a book, my amp meter I had left at home and my fluke I had left at ace hardware when I wire the propane pump. No thievery, only incompetince on my part. I felt stupid but glad to have my tools back. I also apologize to all the honest people who walked by the truck who I looked at with suspicion.
#193934 - 04/29/10 04:07 AM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: schenimann]
Alan Belson Offline
Loc: Mayenne N. France
A lot of my tools have secret legs. This property of tools to go walkies has uncannily coincided with me getting older. This strange phenomenon has also affected my spectacles. I solved it by buying cheap glasses on t'internet. Now, I have up to 48 pairs wandering about al fresco making a pair easy to find. You just lassoo a pair from the herd as it stampedes past, heading for some remote corner of the county. Yeeehaaarrr!
#193935 - 04/29/10 07:00 AM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: Alan Belson]
Texas_Ranger Offline
Loc: Vienna, Austria
I often called our family apartment a black hole... all kinds of stuff can disappear here. Like we have around 6 of those folding metal desk lamps (funnel shaped metal shade on a long folding arm with 3 joints and springs to keep it balanced) but only 2 or 3 of the "feet" needed to clamp them to the desk.
#193939 - 04/29/10 06:51 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: Texas_Ranger]
sparky Offline
i do bad things on ladders

on the bright side, i've developed a rather keen sense of balance

~S~
#193947 - 04/30/10 01:34 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: sparky]
Gregtaylor Offline
Loc: Boise, Idaho, USA
I have never owned a razor knife for more than 24 hours.
#193948 - 04/30/10 05:22 PM Re: What I do better than any electrician [Re: Gregtaylor]
bigrockk Offline
Loc: Middle of Canada
Hey this really is a feel good thread, I do all of these things and it is reassuring to know I am not the ony one...

I actually have been cleaning up after a job, had tools and garbage in hand, and tossed the whole works into the trashcan! At least before I left the job I had the sense to look in the trash for my “missing tools”.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (ghost307), 67 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 49
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 18
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals