ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
This thread is inspired by some of the changes I have encountered since the last time I was actively looking for work.

No longer does the Sunday paper come packed with endless columns of fine print. No longer is every day spent endlessly dialing the phone, or trudging from office to office. Now it's all in the 'inter-sphere.'

With a multitude of job sites, and other places to post your resume, the great computer rapidly attempts to steer you to an appropriate lead.

Sometimes these matches are something only the internet can connect; I mean, how does a search for an 'electrician' result in the US Army inviting you to join a mortar platoon?

Today, however, took the cake. Advised of a new posting, I eagerly opened the e-mail. The job? Kangaroo Keeper. I kid you not.

Maybe I'll take a job with the circus as a human cannonball. After all, the pays allright, the benefits are great, I get to shoot the bull with the world's smartest aps (Thank you, Webb Wilder!)

sbi Offline
I know reno. What about all the places where you fill out a complete application on line. Only to get told to come to the office to fill out the same complete thing on their computer.
Than they send you a post card saying sorry we don't have any postions available.

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
G
I am still registered on the state bid web site for electrical inspector positions in a process that made it look very specific. I get requests to bid on all sorts of things. The other day I got a posting for database analysis that sounding interesting to me but it certainly is not in my profile with the state.

Greg Fretwell
S
Some of these job sites use keywords to offer options to what you are intersted in. I get all kinds of oddball notices because one of the words was facility.

I work for my federal govt. Despite of all the BS I have to put up with, its a job and a full paycheck, every payday. If anyone out there is cosidering working for Uncle Sammy, I would glady answer any of your questions. Each agency works in their own weird way so I will try my best. The following link is off of fedjobs.gov, the offical website for federal jobs.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search...jbf565=&caller=default.aspx&pg=1

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
K
Well... times are sort of tough right now... and let's face it... those kangaroo's aren't going to clean up after themselves. laugh

L
Fed Jobs: That's the only Industry growing right now.

I will with hold further comment. mad laugh

Originally Posted by renosteinke

Today, however, took the cake. Advised of a new posting, I eagerly opened the e-mail. The job? Kangaroo Keeper. I kid you not.

Are you not experienced in kangaroo maintenance?

Spot ya digger! grin

G
From what I hear from Rolf Harris you just tie them down.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by leland
Fed Jobs: That's the only Industry growing right now.

I will with hold further comment. mad laugh

Not for electricians. The numbers are down across the board. There is half the jobs that use to be on the board. A paycheck is better then going hungry.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 12/19/09 02:19 AM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
.... and I want my wallaby back, Jack!

I've actually received a few -very few- rejection slips. I suppose it is nice that they responded at all ... though the expressed reason rarely makes any sense. Sometime you don't even get that much.

A few places immediately removed me from consideration - and, in the internet age, there's no one to speak with, or any means of inquiring as to the 'why.' Quite often, there's a blunt refusal to talk to you.

Ironically, the bureaucracy bound, budget stressed city hall has been the most responsive, and reasonable, of the bunch. That's still no substitute for a paycheck - but everyone else ought to be ashamed!

And, frankly, that kangaroo job is looking better. While the job's not quite local, it's only a short hop ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard