by sparky
Yesterday at 07:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by Vlado
09/24/16 09:33 AM
Electrical mast flashing product
by ThomasWinfrey
09/22/16 12:14 AM
What estimating software do you recommend?
by sparky
09/21/16 07:20 PM
"Dry Run" Inspection goes awry
by HotLine1
09/20/16 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 14
sparky 10
sparky66wv 8
gfretwell 8
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191040 - 12/16/09 11:22 AM Looking For Work in the Internet Age
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
This thread is inspired by some of the changes I have encountered since the last time I was actively looking for work.

No longer does the Sunday paper come packed with endless columns of fine print. No longer is every day spent endlessly dialing the phone, or trudging from office to office. Now it's all in the 'inter-sphere.'

With a multitude of job sites, and other places to post your resume, the great computer rapidly attempts to steer you to an appropriate lead.

Sometimes these matches are something only the internet can connect; I mean, how does a search for an 'electrician' result in the US Army inviting you to join a mortar platoon?

Today, however, took the cake. Advised of a new posting, I eagerly opened the e-mail. The job? Kangaroo Keeper. I kid you not.

Maybe I'll take a job with the circus as a human cannonball. After all, the pays allright, the benefits are great, I get to shoot the bull with the world's smartest aps (Thank you, Webb Wilder!)

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#191042 - 12/16/09 11:33 AM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: renosteinke]
sbi Offline

Loc: indiana
I know reno. What about all the places where you fill out a complete application on line. Only to get told to come to the office to fill out the same complete thing on their computer.
Than they send you a post card saying sorry we don't have any postions available.

#191043 - 12/16/09 12:24 PM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: sbi]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I am still registered on the state bid web site for electrical inspector positions in a process that made it look very specific. I get requests to bid on all sorts of things. The other day I got a posting for database analysis that sounding interesting to me but it certainly is not in my profile with the state.

#191079 - 12/17/09 10:06 AM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: gfretwell]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Some of these job sites use keywords to offer options to what you are intersted in. I get all kinds of oddball notices because one of the words was facility.

I work for my federal govt. Despite of all the BS I have to put up with, its a job and a full paycheck, every payday. If anyone out there is cosidering working for Uncle Sammy, I would glady answer any of your questions. Each agency works in their own weird way so I will try my best. The following link is off of fedjobs.gov, the offical website for federal jobs.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search.aspx...t.aspx&pg=1

#191119 - 12/18/09 02:46 PM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: sparkyinak]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Well... times are sort of tough right now... and let's face it... those kangaroo's aren't going to clean up after themselves. laugh

#191125 - 12/18/09 03:37 PM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: sparkyinak]
leland Offline

Loc: Lowell area, Ma. USA
Fed Jobs: That's the only Industry growing right now.

I will with hold further comment. mad laugh

#191127 - 12/18/09 04:36 PM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: renosteinke]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Originally Posted By: renosteinke

Today, however, took the cake. Advised of a new posting, I eagerly opened the e-mail. The job? Kangaroo Keeper. I kid you not.

Are you not experienced in kangaroo maintenance?

Spot ya digger! grin

#191135 - 12/18/09 09:49 PM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: Trumpy]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
From what I hear from Rolf Harris you just tie them down.

#191137 - 12/18/09 10:18 PM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: leland]
sparkyinak Offline

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: leland
Fed Jobs: That's the only Industry growing right now.

I will with hold further comment. mad laugh

Not for electricians. The numbers are down across the board. There is half the jobs that use to be on the board. A paycheck is better then going hungry.

Edited by sparkyinak (12/18/09 10:19 PM)

#191143 - 12/19/09 08:10 AM Re: Looking For Work in the Internet Age [Re: sparkyinak]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
.... and I want my wallaby back, Jack!

I've actually received a few -very few- rejection slips. I suppose it is nice that they responded at all ... though the expressed reason rarely makes any sense. Sometime you don't even get that much.

A few places immediately removed me from consideration - and, in the internet age, there's no one to speak with, or any means of inquiring as to the 'why.' Quite often, there's a blunt refusal to talk to you.

Ironically, the bureaucracy bound, budget stressed city hall has been the most responsive, and reasonable, of the bunch. That's still no substitute for a paycheck - but everyone else ought to be ashamed!

And, frankly, that kangaroo job is looking better. While the job's not quite local, it's only a short hop ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals