ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#190712 12/01/09 02:12 PM
I am a little confused about this articles intention. I thought i had to put a disconnect ahead of my 200 amp panel 25 feet inside this house(fed from remote meter, 100 feet away)I called my AHJ and told him I cancelled my inspection, so I can put a 200 amp disco ahead of my panel. He told me I didn't need a disconnect ahead of my panel. He is my AHJ, so I didn't put one in. What is the intention of this code? does it apply to residential? Remote meter, feeds shop, house and well house more than one structure.

Thanks,
H2O

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H2O:
Are we talking a feeder or service conductors? Do you have OCP at the meter location?

If you have the '08 Handbook, read the commentary following this article for a good explanation.

John
Cat Servant
Well, there's an NEC section that sure uses a lot of words to say ... nothing!

H2O, it looks like the AHJ has given you a break. I also think the NEC is the wrong code to look at. While I'm not entirely sure of the source(fire code? building code? somewhere else?), the principle that every structure have some means of outside disconnect accessible to fire crews is pretty well established.

If the disconnect is to be at the service, you might be able to simply post a sign on the building advising of it's location.

Oddly enough, the section you cite is not the place where the main exception to this principle happens: farms. Farms will often have disconnects clusteres at the service, which is often a pole in the middle of a group of buildings.

The disco doesn't need to be a 'disconnect switch' as such; a main breaker with a shunt-trip would allow the use of a simple snip switch as the disconnecting means.

Y
I take it he means theres a Pole 100 feet from the Panel , Theres a underground run from the meter on that pole to a disconnect 25 feet inside the house. NO protection till the Service rated switch 25 feet inside. IF so thats a Clear violation 230.70 (A).
I'd say a disconnect has to be either at the pole . (Then conductors are a feeder and another disconnect is Still required at the house (225.31)
Or no disconnect at the pole BUT one would required at the house per 230.70 (A).

I should reword my post from remote meter to - remote service.
I have established the service on well house and the feeders to the house are protected by a main 200 amp breaker, then go underground 100 feet into house via LB and Jbox to 200 amp main breaker panel 25 feet away from LB.
I am still thinking/wondering(although AHJ approved)that where conductors enter house need disconnect because, they don't terminate at closet point of entry. They are feeders is this why they don't need a disco at house? Since they already have means of disconnecting at main breaker?
Thanks again,
H2O

K
Originally Posted by watersparkfalls
I should reword my post from remote meter to - remote service.
I have established the service on well house and the feeders to the house are protected by a main 200 amp breaker, then go underground 100 feet into house via LB and Jbox to 200 amp main breaker panel 25 feet away from LB.
I am still thinking/wondering(although AHJ approved)that where conductors enter house need disconnect because, they don't terminate at closet point of entry. They are feeders is this why they don't need a disco at house? Since they already have means of disconnecting at main breaker?
Thanks again,
H2O

Hard to say, but IMO, since this is a feeder that originates from outside the building, you would need a service rated disconnecting means for this separate building or structure per 225.31 and 225.32, unless 225.32, Exceptions 1 thru 4 applied, which doesn't sound like they would in this case.
The disconnect would need to be readily accessible and located either outside the building or inside nearest to the point of entrance of the conductors, similar to the requirements for a service disconnecting means in 230.70.

If there is a main breaker panel installed in the house, maybe the inspector feels the main CB in the panel is adequate. If so... cheers

I agree Reno... I just have to accept that it's signed off.
And if another inspector comes to final it and tries to write a correction for it, I will protest it...especially since I was told by AHJ that I didn't need it, when I was going to put one in. I'll never pass an inspection(first go around) again by that AHJ I'm sure.
Thanks guys,
H2O

Link Copied to Clipboard