09/29/16 06:46 AM
short circuit??
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:43 AM
Norwegian power?
by Meadow
09/29/16 06:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 12
sparky 10
gfretwell 8
Potseal 7
sparky66wv 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190138 - 11/07/09 10:14 AM Range cord vs circuit
watersparkfalls Offline

Loc: Washington...Not DC
I have an island(slab)with a range in it, I will need to pull thwn through my raceway to feed it, the manufactures specs say it has a maximum amperage of 27.6 amps and requires a 40 amp cord for connection. Can I feed a 40 amp plug with only 30 amps? Seems as an apprentice, my old company got gigged for this exact same thing. What say you?
Thanks,
H20

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#190143 - 11/07/09 12:18 PM Re: Range cord vs circuit [Re: watersparkfalls]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa

Quote:
(B) 30-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 30-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with heavy-duty lampholders in other than a dwelling unit(s) or utilization equipment in any occupancy. A rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

#190147 - 11/07/09 01:56 PM Re: Range cord vs circuit [Re: gfretwell]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
What I have noticed, over the last several years anyway, is how difficult it is sometimes to decipher range manufactures listed installation instructions and electrical requirements.
Often they list a minimum circuit ampacity as well as a minimum conductor size that doesn’t seem to correspond directly to the nameplate rating of the appliance.

I can remember a couple of years ago with one dual-fuel range, the installation instructions said to install a 30A 4-wire receptacle in the location specified on the template, but when I read the actual electrical requirements in the instructions, they stated to use a #8 minimum conductor size for the branch circuit.

Because of this, I always try and get copies of the manufactures installation instructions whenever I get the appliance schedule for a job.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals