by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189840 - 10/27/09 11:36 AM Lights dimming on a/c load??
sparkync Offline

Loc: NC
I've seen this happen over the years and have not really found a problem but maybe one time that I can think of. When an a/c comes on, the lights will dim momentarily
(just for a split second). Is this something that can be called normal or is there actually a problem hid in the circuit somewhere? I know if other appliances such as range, dryer etc... all are doing it, that there is a possibility of a loose neutral somewhere or even possibility of the power company loosing a phase or neutral somewhere, but I'm talking about just a momemtarily and slight dimming. The connections in the electrical panel have already been checked. Thanks for the input..

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#189846 - 10/27/09 02:22 PM Re: Lights dimming on a/c load?? [Re: sparkync]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
It is not unusual. There are a lot of things that can contribute to that. The size of the LRA on your compressor, the voltage drop in the service conductors and the transformer are a the main things. Those are really all out of your control. I don't really notice the lights dimming here except the ones on a dimmer but I do see the dip on the meter I have on the power.

#189850 - 10/27/09 09:48 PM Re: Lights dimming on a/c load?? [Re: gfretwell]
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
My house was built in 2005, and my lights don't dim when the A/C kicks in. PG&E's transformer is very close though (on the other side of my neighbor's yard) and I believe it's a 25kva

I've performed service upgrades in older neighborhoods and had customers call saying their lights still dim, etc... and usually it's the poco trying to feed a whole block off of a 70 year old 15 kva transformer with 1/0 (or even #2) secondaries. (Anaheim and LADWP are notorious for this)

Only in SDG&E land did I ever see a poco upgrade their system after the city turned in final on the panel upsize.

#189859 - 10/28/09 09:17 AM Re: Lights dimming on a/c load?? [Re: Lostazhell]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I have never seen a service drop larger than #2al for 200a or less.

#189865 - 10/28/09 10:43 AM Re: Lights dimming on a/c load?? [Re: gfretwell]
SteveFehr Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Dimming of incandescent bulbs goes by the square of the voltage, so even a small difference is voltage is amplified, and the human eye is very good at noticing even a tiny difference. It's normal and expected to have some voltage drop in the main feeders whenever a large motor load like a compressor starts up. The poco lines from the transformer to your house are the main culprit, I think. They're simply very small.

#189939 - 10/29/09 11:41 PM Re: Lights dimming on a/c load?? [Re: SteveFehr]
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Greg, I was referring to the "hardline" secondaries from the transformer feeding multiple drops going from pole to pole... a typical new construction 200A service here will get a 1/0 duplex and #4 or 6 for 100A here

San Diego actually upgrades the "pole to pole" duplex up to 4/0 from what I've seen

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals